Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Ody has 78K miles and is in need of new struts in the front. I thought that while I'm at it I might as well do the rear shocks as well.
I've located what I think I'll need to get the job done. Could someone look and see that I've made the correct choices for struts/shocks before I buy? Also, if there is anything else I'm forgetting let me know.
As you can see, the total comes to $200 shipped, assuming I haven't forgotten anything. I think that's a pretty good deal.
Just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate all the advice found on this site and hope that someday I can be a help to someone in need.
Thanks in advance.
Roemer7

Shocks

Strut

Other Strut

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You will probably want to replace the sway bar end links in the front as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Roemer7, for what it's worth you might consider replacing the front springs. I have had both front springs break. One failed suddenly on a right hand turn . Once home I inspected both springs and found that the other spring was also broken, (it failed some time in the past as the broken ends were rusted). I replaced both springs with the aid of a special compressor. I was amazed at the change in ride height and improved handling. If you do this in your garage, pay particular attention to the upper bearing as the free balls will spill out upon diassembly. Did I mention you will need a very large spring compressor! Be VERY careful with removal/assembly of the springs. If done wrong things can become dangerious very quickly. Ask me how I know. I thank my lucky stars that when the cheap spring compressor failed it didn't injure me or damage the van. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very helpful. Thanks. I plan on bringing the struts and (now new) springs to a local garage and have them do the compressing and then alignment.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I sold my 2001 Ody LX (I have a 2007 LX now).

Anyway, back in May 2007, my 2001 front spring broke but luckily, this happened inside my garage at home instaed of highway at 70 mph; talking about pure luck!!!

I documented the whole thing including pictures here:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38700&highlight=spring+front

Even though the "bad" springs seems limited to 2001 models (I might be wrong).

But each Spring is only about $65-70 at the dealer (maybe cheaper online). For the sake of your and your family safety and a good night sleep, I'd say change both springs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that story. I now plan on replacing the springs and struts. I think I'll buy the pre-assembled unit (strut/spring combo). It may cost more in the end, but I can get back on the road faster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
front strut change

front strut change is a PITA.
you have to take all the plastick mumbo jumbo in order to get to those 3 screws on top. abs line,brake line, sway bar link, pretty standard. If anyone plans to do this, the key is on how u dismount the spring. U want to borrow 2 sets of spring compressor from Autozone. U will get those money back anyways, so why not. make sure the side u tight with wranch will be located at the top and screw end facing south. u tighten it halfway with first set and put second set to tighten the each far end of the spring. u will get what i am saying when u jump on it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
kyb?

How do those KYB's ride? I had a set on a different car years ago and they were pretty harsh. Are the pretty similar to the stock ride, ??:confused:

·
Registered
606 Posts
OK, that's feedback I was looking for on KYB's. Last set I had was very hard, but on that turbo car that's what I wanted, but since my Oldsmobile van rides like a 3/4 ton truck I rather like the better ride, and going to 18's I think I will stick with Monroe to replace my leaking OEM. roads in Houston are straight and no real need for stiffer shocks...or maybe I'm just getting older! LOL

My KYB's lasted the life of the car, so you should be good on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts