Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Recently I've noticed a large puddle of power steering fluid under the left side of my 03 Odyssey. Looks like it's coming out from the rubber boot where the steering wheel connects to the rack and pinion. Research suggests that the reason for a big puddle is that the boot contains the leak until it can't any longer, then spills it all out at once. Sound correct? So am I up against a full rack and pinion change? Or can I change the seals in that little "gearbox?" without removing the whole rack and pinion. Should I just keep driving, and adding fluid as necessary? If a full R&P change is necessary can anyone point me to a write up on how to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
You are correct, a leak from the rack seal will first accumulate inside the boot. As more fluid leaks past the seal, the boot can no longer contain the volume so it pours out.

It's your choice to replace the R&P or just the seals. If you go with just the seals, I think the job would best be done on the bench rather than under the van. So IMHO, you are looking at removing the rack either way.

If it were me, I would replace it with a rebuilt rack. They are rebuilt in controlled conditions and tested so the chance of a post-replacement leak is less.

The R&R procedure is long but not very complicated. Hopefully someone can post an image of the relevant shop manual pages.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts