Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that it is recommended that you remove the spark plugs every 40k miles or so to make sure they don't cause thread problems in the heads.
If that is the case, why not use cheaper NGK plugs and just change them when you do that?
Any advantage in using the expensive NGK PZFR5F-11 plugs besides longevity?
Anyone use AutoLite, Denso, or other brands? (I keep hearing that the Bosch plugs don't work well in the 2003 ODY and I can only think that it might be a heat range problem.)
Thanks,
Buffalo
PS: I pulled mine (PZFR5F-11) with about 85k on them (127k miles on the engine) and the gap was within a thousandth.
The front middle plug was only in finger tight BTW. I just put the old plugs back in with some anti-sieze on the threads and some di-electric on the coil boot. Next time, I will install new plugs at the same time.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I didn't have trouble removing mine the first time at 111k miles.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Happy to hear that.
Anyone have good luck with using other than the expensive NGK plugs, such as the cheaper ngk or even Autolite Platinum or Denso or others?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I broke down and bought 6 PZFR5F-11 NGK plugs at Advanced Auto Parts for $9.89 USD apiece.
Has anyone had good luck with cheaper plugs?
I doubt I will ever change these plugs again since my Ody has a little over 127k miles.
Seems like the biggest advantage of these plugs is their long life, but since others recommend taking them out every 30-40k miles to make sure the threads don't bind, why not just go with cheaper plugs and replace them rather than just checking them and installing them back with the old 'compressed' gasket?
Thanks, :confused:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I don't think every 30-40K miles is necessary to pull them. I'd find the middle of the interval you would like to change them and pull them at that mileage. So pull them at 50-60K miles and change them at 105,000 miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used the Autolite for the last 30k miles with no complaints ata ll. Same mileage, runs great, etc. I havent pulled one yet to see if its wearing any faster than the NGKs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently changed mine for the first time at 83,000 miles. Honda placed NGK platinums in there. The new plugs I put in were the NGK Iridiums.

Should last me another 50-80k.

Getting to the back 3 were easier than the front 3!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts