Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Ody is slipping in reverse. Its a 2003 we bought new in 2002 and it has approx 180,000 km on it Canadian Alliston built model.

Anybody have any idea of the cost to fix this? Is this the dreaded Ody tranny problem? And any chance of Honda kicking in to fix it at this age?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
tranny dead...well we were right - 2003 ody

I posted here a couple of weeks ago about our trans getting stuck and not shifting into reverse. I just wanted to update our story incase it helps any one else. Let me preface this with I am pretty bitter right now.

On June 29th the van had issues being put into reverse. Took it into our dealer on June 30th and told them what was happening and told them we suspected a transmission issue. We had decided that if it was indeed the transmission, we were going to get a new vehicle. It had 178,000km on it.

Dealer called us within the half hour to say that it was only an engine mount that was gone and the trans was fine. $500 and we were on our way with a new engine mount and new tranny fluid. We were planning a rather substantial road trip and I asked the dealer rep if it was safe to take it on such a trip. I was told that "it isn'tt driving like a new van but its fine." You can see where this is going.....

We cross over the US boarder from Canada. Two hours later we stop for lunch. Getting back on to the highway, the van shifts with a very loud BANG. We hang a right and skip the highway exit, only to have to make a 3 pt turn and can't get it into reverse again. Frantically punch HONDA into my GPS and find one 4km away. Manage to get it moving and to the dealer. They look over it, and declare it fine to continue on our trip. Engine mount is good, tranny fluid looks and smells fine. They tell us its likely the new fluid working its way into the tranny.

An hour later, at a toll gate just out side of NYC we pay our toll and go to accelerate through and it bangs again, and sticks in second gear at which time the TCS light comes on, D4 flashes and the check engine light comes on. It does accelerate and we once again FRANTICALLY punch HONDA into the GPS. We make it across a MAJOR bridge and a second toll gate when it sticks in 1st gear. THANK GOD the Honda dealer was literally at the bottom of the off ramp at the gate.

We limp into Honda. $3800 later we have a new transmission that we had no choice in putting into our vehicle as we had no other way home. We had to rent a car to get to our hotel and take the train back to deal with the van the next morning and stay extra days in a hotel to get the car fixed. The tranny isn't even warranted by Honda Canada because they didn't do the work. I am bitter and angry with the run around Honda Canada has been and is giving me. We were told by the american dealer that if it had been an US car HOnda USA would have given us some goodwill money. HAHAH not Honda Canada.

I have very little recourse at this point other that to warn others about our horrid experience. I have been a loyal honda fan for over 20 years but this is the final straw. Two incompetent dealers put my family at risk and let me drive an unfit vehicle. To make matters worse, the third dealer that finally fixed it also found some suspension part broken and fixed that for free for us but told us that that should have been found by our dealer when they did the engine mount and that alone being broken make it unfit to drive. Less than 1000km after the van was declared safe, it had a catastrophic failure, after having issues, is not mere coincidence.

It will be a looooong time before I buy another Honda product.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts