Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EXL has 121K+ miles on it and I am having tranny problems. It suddenly started Xmas eve . I took it to my mechanic and he tells me I got code P0730 with another code 40-01 and I need to change the transmission. I see plenty of posts here about P0730 but can't find anything on the other code. Could it be clutch related? I had him change the trans oil and he noticed metallic residue on the plug. I guess the tranny is shot. The car still drives and shifts but I don't know how long it can last. It has only been about 10K miles since the last trans oil change at the dealer's recommendation. I bought the van new in 2002 and have serviced it at the dealer throughout.

I called my service rep at the dealer today and his comment was to replace the tranny for about $4K or buy another Honda! Meanwhile a rebuilt tranny with 3yr/100K mile warranty from my mechanic will be $3K. What do you guys think about rebuilt transmissions? I am planning on keeping the car for about another year and trying to decide on the best option. I am still working on trying to get a better price from the dealer but am not very optimistic. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to the Honda V6 failed transmission club (about 30% of 1999-04 Honda V6 owners have already joined BTW)! Do a search for 'Jasper' and 'Gator' remanufactured transmissions and start reading. Many people have had good luck with them. My sister spent $5K (not a typo) at a Honda dealer last summer getting Transmission #3 installed in her 1999 Ody.

But wait - a 3yr/100K miles warranty sounds pretty good for $3K.

If you're happy with the rest of the van, I'd pull the trigger on a reman'd tranny - but why sell in a year? You're going to need to drive it longer than that to get your $ back out of it. The cheapest car is usually the car you already own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. Before I started reading these forums I had no idea the failure rate was so high. The reman'd that I was quoted by an indy shop is a Weaver. I have not heard of them. The indy shop has been in business since 1984 and they tell me they have had very good experience with them. I will look into the ones you mention here.

As far as selling the van in a year, well, my wife wants a new one! I love this van. Its taken our family all over the country and has been pretty reliable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts