Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a new blower motor. Obviously the OEM costs way more than 3rd party brands. I want it to be quiet and smooth operating. Anyone have any feedback on the 3rd party non-OEM brands that they've installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I need to buy a new blower motor. Obviously the OEM costs way more than 3rd party brands. I want it to be quiet and smooth operating. Anyone have any feedback on the 3rd party non-OEM brands that they've installed?

Thanks.
you sure its the blower motor and not the resistor?

acdelco or vdo if you're buying off rockauto.

lkq or car-parts if you want to swap it with a used oem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2011.2017.odyssey - Thanks for the brand recommendations. I was thinking about used, but I think I rather go new at this point in age.

I read on the resistor stuff before posting and I am not having problems with varying speed selections at the fan switch knob, nor am I having problems with the fan ever running or not running. The fan is making a clicking sound and seems to "move in it's seat" depending on what position the van is in (on an incline or swaying from one direction to the other) causing the sound clicking or thudding in the fan motor to be louder or softer. If I'm sitting still "level" in park the fan sounds normal but just seems to be louder to me than it should be.

Has the resister issue given people problems with their battery dying out quicker than normal? I had to replace several relays in my fuse/relay box under the hood for another problem (my radiator fan) a while back until Honda figured out it was likely a loose connection in the fuse/relay box itself! Since then my relays have stopped burning up, but my batteries have only been lasting 2 or 3 years in this van.

As stated herein, now I am wondering about the inside blower motor being a culprit to causing other electric issues as well... there seems to be a decent power draw when the blower motor kicks on, enough to dim the cabin and headlights...although several times over the alternator has tested OK. I think it's the fan motor because I should've replaced it a long time ago when I smelled burning coming from it and heard strange sounds from it, but I turned it off right away and the next time I drove the van it started working normally again ... just with a lil added clicking/thudding noises that have gotten worse over time.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
2011.2017.odyssey - Thanks for the brand recommendations. I was thinking about used, but I think I rather go new at this point in age.

I read on the resistor stuff before posting and I am not having problems with varying speed selections at the fan switch knob, nor am I having problems with the fan ever running or not running. The fan is making a clicking sound and seems to "move in it's seat" depending on what position the van is in (on an incline or swaying from one direction to the other) causing the sound clicking or thudding in the fan motor to be louder or softer. If I'm sitting still "level" in park the fan sounds normal but just seems to be louder to me than it should be.

Has the resister issue given people problems with their battery dying out quicker than normal? I had to replace several relays in my fuse/relay box under the hood for another problem (my radiator fan) a while back until Honda figured out it was likely a loose connection in the fuse/relay box itself! Since then my relays have stopped burning up, but my batteries have only been lasting 2 or 3 years in this van.

As stated herein, now I am wondering about the inside blower motor being a culprit to causing other electric issues as well... there seems to be a decent power draw when the blower motor kicks on, enough to dim the cabin and headlights...although several times over the alternator has tested OK. I think it's the fan motor because I should've replaced it a long time ago when I smelled burning coming from it and heard strange sounds from it, but I turned it off right away and the next time I drove the van it started working normally again ... just with a lil added clicking/thudding noises that have gotten worse over time.
if you leave the van parked for a few days is the battery completely dead?

you could have a phantom load that is running the battery through many duty cycles, which will shorten its life.

regarding the fan motor, squealing as they get old is common, smells are not good.

change it out, and stop debating it.
The top quality acdelco from rockauto is 77bux, and you will have to transfer over your squirrel cage from the old unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2011.2017.odyssey - thanks. Thanks to techdoug2018 too.

2011.2017.odyssey - Not much to debate. lol - I just wanted to know a good brand and be sure it was the motor, which my intuition tells me it is.

Also, the battery isn't dead in just a few days of no use, but I do only get about 2 - 3 years per battery. Phantom load sounds right. I also suspect the a/c compressor too as it is the original and the van has 310k miles on it! lol - These things run forever with care!

Ordering AC Delco tonight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front fan blower motor ordered.

I believe in "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but given that the resistor problem is well known and I have 310K miles on this van and no plans of getting rid of it yet, would ya'll replace the resistor too as a preventative? Just curious ya'lls thoughts there too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
If your van is an LX, it has a resistor; if EX+, a transistor.

In any case, these are not common failure items. I would stick with your "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra on this part.

Oops...just noticed in your byline that you have an EX. Cheers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Word up! Thanks davedrivesody!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put in the new AC DELCO fan and it is working beautifully! Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts