Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's van just started giving us problems when we attempt to put the key into the cylinder it acts like it is locked up and will not turn. Completely randomly I guess, it seems like the key may strike the tumbler just right and then it turns over and starts fine. Lately it has been taking 10-20 mins of pulling the key out, putting it back in, trying to turn it before it works. I shot graphite directly into the keyhole today with no noticeable result, and I am getting scared that the cylinder is about to break loose and if the set up is like the European cars-I know extraction of the housing and everything would then be necessary.

This is going to call for the help of either one of you Mastertechs that have done and seen this a million times or someone that has experienced it because I know it isn't acting like any other failing cylinder I have run across.

1- I do not have an alternate key
2- The key shows noticeable wear but nothing that would typically cause a no start issue
3- It happens every time but is not consistent in any other way-like, putting the key in at angle or pushing/pulling on the shifter/ depressing the brake pedal harder to ensure the B/L switch is engaging--none
4- No MIL's
5- The tumbler does feel real "loosy goosy" when key is inserted as if the "feelers or the little things that the key is read by" may be damaged from my dear wife ramming the dang key in and out of it when it locks up.

I know that the complete ignition assembly is a "dealer-only" item and must be programmed to new keys post installation--I am trying to see if I am even on the right track in thinking the Ignition Lock Cylinder is the root---I do not know if I should go ahead and purchase anew key to see if that works---I do know I am going to be spending a few hundred minimum on anything that has to be diagnosed/programmed if there isn't a way around it.

I read another post in which someone installed a remote start (aftermarket) system with a ignition/immobilizer bypass relay setup--but he didn't write if it was necessary that the key be used or not, every system like that I have seen still involves getting the key to the starting position at some point. So I am skeptical that he installed the system due to the same issue I'm having.

Any help would be great!!and I will happily help anyone with any ?s about European vehicles and will be browsing these forums to see if I can help anyone often, thanks again...

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
If the key is worn out, making a copy of it would be fruitless. Sounds to me like you need a new ignition lock cylinder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just replaced my ignition (2003 EX with 160K miles) at Joyce Honda in Denville NJ. $500. They offered me for extra $100 to use same old key, but I said no. I was getting worried that I would get stuck somewhere in town, and miss getting the kids from practice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just saw this post, know it's a little late, but might help somebody else. Same exact thing happened on our '03 Pilot and '03 Odyssey! Eventually key will not turn the ignition at all! It will still unlock doors etc. We had other keys and tried them, no luck. Nothing fixed it except getting a new ignition! On mine, they didn't rekey to the old keys, so now I have a door key and an ignition key! What a complete pain in the neck!

There is some sort of issue with these ignitions. Kinda like the transmissions. Dealer would give us no discount. Sorry but that is just not normal to have to replace two complete ignitions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2004 Odyssey Ignition Switch and Cylinder Replacement

Yup, same thing here, I ended up watching this pretty extensive video

which showed how to drop the ignition assembly out of an Accord but it was essentially the same exact job for the Odyssey ignition. My only question is this: If I transfer all of the electronic components from my old assembly OVER to a new cylinder AND keep the old key with it's transmitter on the keyring, will the new key be able to turn the ignition? I realize the vehicle will have a separate key for the ignition but I really don't care to pay Honda another damn dollar to match the key electronically if the thing still won't open the doors. Here's the components I have pulled out.

2004 Honda Odyssey Ignition Cylinder.JPG

Sincerely,
Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
This video is good to give you a general idea of how to R & R a Honda ignition cylinder. However, I just replaced my ignition cylinder on my 2003 Odyssey EX and it came as an assembly; no way to remove just the cylinder and replace. I had to replace the entire assembly which included the wire harness that plugs in behind the driver's side fuse board. That board had to be detached so that the connector could be unplugged, etc, but you'll pick up the differences as you replace the assembly. His tip on removing the bolts is much appreciated. Worked like a charm. Estimate from the dealer NOT including tow but including re-keying the new keys (130 per key) and installing a new assembly:1000 bucks. My cost for the assembly:148 on-line. Cost for locksmith to come to my house to rekey BOTH new keys: 150. Saved about 700 doing it myself.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
You don't need new ignition, just get yours recoded with new tumblers. The key wears them out eventually. Either get the dealer to do it or pull the ignition yourself and take to a locksmith. Under $100 fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been looking into a couple of options to include replacing the lock and having ther keys recoded or having the lock re-pinned. Recoding will cost anywhere from $65 (if I can get the car to the locksmith) to $150 (done at my house). I was just given a quote to have the lock re-pinned for $175. That is sounding like a pretty good option, since I'll be able to use my existing keys. Has anyone had their keys re-pinned...and what are your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same probelm with my 03. Key difficult to insert, had to wiggle to turn, etc. Had issue for about 6 months before complete failure. I completely removed the ignition switch and disassembled. Turned out that the 1st tumbler was completeley worn out. I removed it and its twin and decided to go with just the remining tumblers. (I did the same to my driver side door lock 1 year ago, sam issue) At this point the van is nearly 10 years old decided to try and avoid the 300-500 dollar repair job. I have to say it works perfectly now, and even though it may be ever so slightly easier to steal my van now, I am not concerned. This is not for the amateur though : > )

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
It's okay to shoot some lock lube or graphite in there once in a while. Just avoid flooding it so it won't get into the electrical switch. This will reduce wear on the tumblers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad to have found this thread. I have this issue right now. '03 Odyssey EX, 140K. We are currently parking it unlocked with the key in the ignition and don't dare take it out. Poor engineering, IMO, to make the key harder than the tumblers. (We've tried all keys: my worn one, my husband's less worn one, and the pristine spare.) The spare is the one stuck in the ignition now, and it's not loving it.

BTW this was a small issue until yesterday when we had the recall for the ignition interlock taken care of.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
It's definitely frustrating.

After you get it replaced, an occasional squirt of graphite or lock lube will keep the pins moving freely and so extend the life of the lock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After you get it replaced, an occasional squirt of graphite or lock lube will keep the pins moving freely and so extend the life of the lock.
That's part of our pre-winter checklist around here, so we've done it 1x/year. Guess we need to step that up.

DH has the ignition out in pieces on the kitchen table right now. We're leaning towards just omitting the worn plates. Not really worried about the theft issue...

·
Registered
21 Posts
...when the primary issue appears to be a busted spring. Plate/tumbler thingys show some wear. DH is going to reassemble without the worst tumblers until we have time to have a locksmith rebuild the assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently went through this with my '03 Odyssey. It appeared there are several options available for repair. The dealer wanted to replace everything, reprogram new keys, etc. The total would have been around $600. I could have purchased a new cylinder on-line, but that would have meant new keys, reprogramming etc. So, I chose to remove the lock cylinder and have the tumblers replaced at a local locksmith. They could have removed the cylinder and done the whole repair, but they offered to do just the tumbler repair for $45 if I removed the cylinder from the car and brought it to them.

One of my keys was in bad shape so I decided to replace it. I was able to save money on that as well by cutting out the security chip from the old key and bringing that to the locksmith. I had a new key cut and the old chip put in it, so no programming was needed. Btw, the new key has a removable chip holder which will be nice should I ever need to replace this key again.

The new key, tumbler work etc all cost around $100 total. Getting out the cylinder was a snap using that youtube video posted earlier in thread. As the other poster stated, the video is for an Acura, but the instructions worked for the Odyssey. Don't be intimidated by the sheer bolts holding the lock cylinder; mine came out very easy with a nail punch. I used a Dremel tool to cut a straight edge in the top of the sheer bolt so I could use a screwdriver to put the bolt back in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wonderful thread. I am just beginning to have problems with the ignition cylinder key/lock mechanism sticking on my 1999 Odyssey with 239.7k miles. I think I will start calling the local locksmiths starting Monday.

BTW: I had the electrical part of the ignition switch replaced under the recall in Jan 2003. Then in 2011 the car started shutting off while driving (very dangerous). I had the electrical part of the ignition switch replaced at a local honda dealer, but they said it was not covered under warranty or recall. I called American Honda, and they said a second replacement of the electrical ignition switch WAS covered under the recall, and they reimbursed me for the cost.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Start simple by spraying some lock lube or graphite into the lock cylinder. It may not solve the sticking problem if the lock has worn parts, but the problem may be binding from lack of lube.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
My ignition lock crapped out in 2007 and again in 2012. Same symptoms as above. Tumblers give out. Dealer claims it's a rare occurence. Bad engineering but i may be guilty of having a heavy keychain (about a dozen keys).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts