Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple of questions...

First, my 2003 Odyssey EX-L has had the front door window regulators fail like 3 or 4 times in its life. The last time it was the passenger side, when I closed the door. I heard a pop, and the window slid down. What's going on with these dang regulators? Is it a generic issue, or am I just unlucky?

Second, I decided this time to fix it myself. Removed the regulator, and ordered a new one. The cable isn't snapped, and there's nothing visually wrong with it, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe a failed motor due to the window not seating smoothly into the frame and getting over torqued? Anyway, in my haste to remove the regulator, I forgot to make note of which electrical plugs go where. Yes, I know, moron, right? But it's not that big a deal, there are only two connectors which might be an issue. There's a blue connector which goes to the seat heater switch (mounted on the door panel) and a blue connector in the door. There's an identical gray connector in the door. So I'm assuming the two blue connectors get hooked together, and the gray connector goes to the window raise/lower switch. Make sense?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Honda is good about connectors only mating with another the same.
You must have bad luck. Mine are still working fine at 241KM and 11 years. Do you regularly clean and lube the run channel? I make sure to spray clear silicone in it 3-4 times per year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I replaced the passenger window regulator in my 2003 because of a busted cable. When installing the new one I plugged the regulator connector into the wrong door connector at first. When the window didn't work I figured out what I had done. I believe they are color coded (red goes to red and blue goes to blue) but I didn't pay attention.

Not sure why yours are failing so often. I have not had any problems with the new regulator (it's been over a year) and never had the drivers side fail.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I probably won't get the replacement regulator til next weekend, so I have a week or so of coin tossing to decide...

Blue to blue, or blue to gray.... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am 90% sure it is blue to blue, and grey to grey. I didn't pay attention this first time I plugged them in but I did the second time around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay folks, the deed is done. Thanks to everyone for their help. You were all right...blue to blue, gray to gray. Turns out what failed was the cable where it attached to the bottom of the slider (or whatever it's called) which runs up and down the track. Not the cable itself, just where it connects. I didn't do a detailed inspection, but when I took the old reg out I noticed it was real loose, then saw that it wasn't attached to the slider thingy. All in all the replacement went very quick and smooth. For anyone who might need to try this, just keep track of which screws go where. I ended up with an extra screw or two, and might have put the wrong screws in the right place, but it all works so I'm not complaining. I purchased a replacement from 1aauto.com for about $90, and I'm real pleased. BTW, there's some videos on YouTube that explain how to do it, and the one I watched was from that same company. The replacement even came with grease already applied to the track. Cool. BTW, no need to do any electrical reset or anything...plugged everything in and it worked fine. And I never disconnected the battery, though I suppose it can't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts