Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

It was working fine and suddenly it won't start. I tried to jump start it an nothing. When you turn the ignition you can hear a whirl sound but it won't even cranck. Read in a lot of forums about the starter and went ahead and remove it but got it tested at Autozone and with an electromechanic and they all say is working fine.

Anything else I should test for .... ????

thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
If it won't crank but the starter is fine... then I would test to see if power is going to the starter when you turn the key to the crank position.

If it's not getting the crank signal from the ignition switch, then the problem could be at the switch.

Is your security light blinking signaling that the minivan is not reading the chip in your key?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It sounds like your starter. (I’m focusing on the whirl – which I imagine is your starter gear spinning… I'm presuming you don't mean some soft sound like might come from the fuel pump for a couple of seconds.).

When they do a bench test, they don't test the Bendix drive clutch. The drive may seem to come out normally and “spin like mad”, but that doesn't mean that the clutch won't simply just “slip like mad” and not turn the flywheel.

The Bendix is basically a one-way clutch. As the drive is turning the flywheel it is supposed to be locked up, but when the flywheel starts to outrun the drive (when the car starts) there should be slip. What if the “sticky grease” in the Bendix were dried up or gone?

This, or something of the sort, could be your issue.

When my starter went bad it had different symptoms/problems than yours. I could hear a click from the solenoid but there was no spin, etc. My case may have been worn contactors and/or worn brushes in addition to an obvious problem - a lack of proper lubrication (the shaft definitely did not move out and back freely like it should – in fact, the return spring had a hard time drawing it back). My problem showed up on cold and damp days.

Anyway, I had my starter tested at O'Reilly's and it was pretty funny. The drive only came out about 1/4 inch and then turned at about 1 rmp – i.e. very slowly. Testing machine said "PASSED"! Go figure. When the girl told me it passed, I asked her whether she watched it (I did) – and I had her do it again. She then said something like: “Wow, guess you can’t always trust the test.”

Did you pull the gear out by hand and see how smooth it was and whether it snapped back when released? Could your gear be coming out only partway and then spinning (even if the Bendix is fine)? I don't know the details - just wondering if it perhaps might be kinda like mine but spinning enough that you hear it...

I was in a bind and just bought a re-man starter. It's been fine.

Good luck.

P.S. Rberman999 has several posts giving people advice about starters; he knows quite a bit about them. Perhaps do a search, and maybe Russ will even jump in here. But given the info you’ve provided, I’m betting on the starter.

EDIT: Didn't watch this video in detail (had a quick look) but seems OK/informative. A "self-proclaimed redneck" discussing starters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxjPpytfnv0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

been a member for a bit but never posted. Im having the EXACT issue as josewood.

Has anyone found a solution to the problem?

Thank you all

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Answer the above questions. If you are hearing the starter motor spin then the bendix is bad unless you stripped all the teeth off the flywheel. There is no majic answer unless you make the checks suggested on the forum and answer back with the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the end it was the starter....replace it and everything is fine.

I think that the way they test the starter doesn't really indicates if its working or not since it doesn't demostrate if the starter can really move the flywheel.

Well thanks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts