Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Day All,

Here is a possible fix that worked for me (so far) that you may want to try if you are having transmission issues with your Odyssey, no chance for a warranty/good will fix and you are frugal (i.e.cheapskate) like me.

History:
- I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey.
- Dealer replaced Transmission at 22K due to slipping issue.
- No further problems until Honda Dealer changed fluid at 135K.
- Transmission immediately started to slip just a few days later. Took van back to the dealer and they said fluid level okay and gave me a quote of about $5K for replacement. I was told by the dealer that there would be no "good-will" discount because of age/mileage of vehicle.

NOTE: There seems to be a trend with transmissions that fail shortly after fluid changes on a number of posts found on the Odyclub owner site.

- I put in a bottle of Lucas Transmission additive a few weeks later in hopes of putting off the inevitable (full transmission replacement) and it seemed to help reduce but not eliminate slipping. A few weeks after that, the slipping started to return and one day the slipping got much worse I started getting the flashing "D" of transmission death on the dash.
- I began to shop around for alternatives to include the possibility of buying a transmission from a parts store and having local mechanic put it in for about $2800 total vs. $5K.
- I took vehicle in for a routine oil change at my local quick lube shop and saw a handout of BG product transmission power flush. I talked to shop owner on what they do with a transmission flush (1 chemical is used to flush the transmission clean and another is used to treat it when it is refilled). I told the owner I had some slipping and he said he was not sure it would help. I realized that I would most likely be throwing $130 away but thought it was worth the gamble given the overall cost of the new transmission.

Results so far (Almost 2 months later):
- The slipping stopped immediately! I have had absolutely no more slipping and no sign of the flashing "D" on dashboard.
- Went back to the Lube and Tune (I know they are not transmission experts) just to ask them why they think why this may have worked on my transmission. The mechanic who did the flush said that it was possible that the flush may have unclogged some debris left during the recent fluid change. This debris may have been clogging up some of the narrow channels in the transmission, causing a loss of fluid pressure and slipping was his best guess. His answer sounded reasonable to me and I found him to be a heck of lot more helpful than the dealer.

Conclusion:
- Though I am not claiming a miracle here (it has only been two months), I have been more than happy with the results so far. I almost go out of my way now to drive up steep hills (there are many right around my house in the Hill Country outside San Antonio) to verify that the transmission is still going strong and it is.

Recommendation:
- If you can get the dealer to help you pay for even a portion of your replacement transmission I would go for it. If you know there is no chance of that happening (my case) then I would recommend giving the BG transmission flush a try and let me know if it works for you like it did for me.
- If I have any deterioration/changes to the transmission's performance I will let you all know but am very happy so far.

NOTE: I have watched videos where news magazine shows (you can find them yourselves on Youtube) that have set up hidden cameras that show a number of “quickie lube" places that charge you for a transmission power flush and don't even do it. The shop I go to is "Helotes Lube and Tune" and they have an open shop floor and I sat and watched the mechanic work on the van through the glass (the flush took about an hour) so I know he did the work that I paid him for and have the positive results to show for it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
glad this worked for you. gen II are getting long in the tooth for honda to keep giving goodwill so we are on our own.

BTW, what fluid did the shop use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich,

They used Honda ATF-Z1. They would not do it the first time because they were out so I came back a few days later when it was back in stock. Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
2003 Honda Odyssey

I purchased this car in the summer of 2002. It had the by-path transmission loop installed by a dealer in 2004 and recommended maintenance. It has now close to 98,000 mostly highway miles and its transmission just started to slip last weak. I replaced 3.5 quarts of AT-1 and it seems getting better but still doesn't shift occasionally well when going up hill or give more ans steady gas. A local Honda and Acura shop did a test drive and concluded that its transmission is slipping. I got a quote of $32K with a one year and 12K mile warranty.

I called American Honda today and was told that they handle this situation case-by-case but I would need to take it to a Honda Dealer for evaluation.

I am wondering how long would a rebuilt transmission last. Apparently, Honda Odyssey 2000-2003 are having design problems with its transmission.

Advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All, It has now been over 2 years since I originally had my transmission issue. Though the flush helped for about 4 months, it went back to slipping. Frustrated, I started pricing a rebuilt transmission from Advance Auto parts and checked to see how much I would have a local mechanic put it in. While hanging around Advance Auto, I looked at more of the liquid miracles in a bottle and decided to try another one. This time I chose Seafoam Trans Tune. It was about $10.99 and figured that it was worth a try (not really but I was desperate). I extracted a quart of transmission fluid out and replaced it wtih Trans Tune and remarkably it worked. I has been over 2 years since I put it in (198K miles) and is doing great). Skip the flush like I recommended before and try the Trans Tune. I also used Trans Tune on my 1997 Dodge Dakota's Power Steering and it helped there also. Let me know if this works for any of you. Jason

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for following up. Always like to know how things turn out longer term. 135k to 198k is pretty darn good resuts.

You do realize you cost the Spurs a championship, right? The Almighty decided he would do a miracle in San Antonio, but that someone else in San Antonio would have to pay. You got the transmission miracle, and the Spurs lost a late lead in a finals closeout game. Seems like a good tradeoff to me! Besides, you already have the funny Spurs commercials for HEB. h-e-b spurs commercial - YouTube

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a rebuilt '01 that began getting P0740 (I think) codes two years ago, which was a failure to lock-up the torque converter. The code would happen at 53 MPH or so, lighting the vehicle slip light and also the CEL (The CEL stayed on, the VLS, or whatever it was, went out with each restart). I tried a 3X fluid change to Valvoline synthetic fluid and the problem has not returned. It was previously a cold weather issue, around NOW or November.

I have a '96 Accord beginning to act up. It shifts into gear slowly when first started and sometimes gets stuck in 2nd, even when warm. About to try the same thing. Any opinions regarding synthetic vs. Honda genuine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jason, has your van's transmission continued to work till today after Trans Tune? My Odyssey 2003 with recall for oil jet has started to slip, lurk, but not grind yet at 154,000 miles. Rear main oil seal and trasmission oil leaks occur simultaneously as I see oil spots on my drive way. It become unsafe to drive out of town or on the free way.
A flush, Lucas transmission additive and one Trans Tune treatment helped a little. Dealer wants more without the cooler.
I am about to pay 4500 at a shop for a Jasper reman transmission and a cooler. Thank you so much. Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
nvtran, did you do the jasper reman transmission? I have a 2003 as well, with 178,000+ miles, it looks like honda did not change the ATF at 150k, last time was 130K. I changed the ATF and Transmision filter, worked for a bit, but started slipping again. I'm on the fence and trying to decide if I should spend that much on a jasper. The van is still in good shape. Do you think it was worth it? Any issues since then?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts