Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Odyssey late in 2004. The VIN was not on the recall list. Meaning the transmission had the factory fix.

Anyway just wondering is this tranmission any more reliable than those earlier VINs?

I changed the transmission fluid at 40K and 70K miles.

Couple of long term issues with it. The transmission has been making a whining noise for the last 40 or 50K miles. If you are at highway speeds touch the gas whining, but let off the gas the whine goes away. And between 10-20 with light pressure on the gas the front of the vehicle will shake. Could be the transmission or an engine mount. Not sure but it's been doing that for a long time too.

I'm at 98K and wondering if I should get rid of this thing while it still moves. It's been a great car. Only a few minor repairs. I like not having a car payment, , but I don't want to be stuck sinking thousands into an old car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
im an after the recall(internal fix) no oil jet, and at 72+k

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The oil jet fix was only for one specific problem that affected a very few of drivers driving a specific way. There are many other problems with the Honda transmissions. Is the 04 better than the previous years? Yes but it is still the failing Honda design. As with all engineering I would expect some problems to be fixed in production from year to year as they show up but don't expect them to be retrofitter to previous years. One consolation there are fewer failures reported here for each year from 99 to 04..

·
Registered
34 Posts
William Wiles said:
One consolation there are fewer failures reported here for each year from 99 to 04..
I would say this largely has to do with the age of the vehicles.

A 2000 model year in 2010 would probably have the same amount of issues as a 2004 model year in 2014.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
100 Posts
alderran said:
I bought my Odyssey late in 2004. The VIN was not on the recall list. Meaning the transmission had the factory fix.

Anyway just wondering is this tranmission any more reliable than those earlier VINs?
30k trans fluid changes on my "post 04" ody, and the trans failed at about 100k.

My guess is, as time goes by, more 04's will fail in line with the 99-03 (and early 04) rate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Traded in the Odyssey for a Ford Escape the other day. I'll miss the space but wow did they give us a lot of money for the trade in! We got 2K in rebates, 1500 off from the dealer and 7,900 for the trade. The Odyssey had 99K miles.

We got the V6 AWD version. It's only been a few days, but I like the Ford.

Still can't believe the trade in and I'm sure I won't be getting any 7,900 for this ford if I trade it in 6 or 7 years from now with 99K miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts