Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Recently I took a 900+ mile road trip in my '04 Odyssey with 209,000+ miles on it. It performed surprisingly well, no complaints there, but after we got back the van sat for 2 weeks. Now whenever I come to a complete stop, the transmission slips when I try to accelerate again. It feels like I'm starting on ice.
This happens every time I come to a FULL stop. Once I'm moving again, everything shifts smoothly and there is no abnormal movement/noise (aside from screaming differential gears but they've been doing that for awhile). Engine RPM is normal, the van just doesn't immediately accelerate. It eventually slips into gear (shifting out of neutral?) and it does so very smoothly and gradually, no bumps or noises, almost as if pressure is building up.
The transmission is original, so it also has 209,000+ miles on it. The last fluid change was less than 2,000 miles ago but the one before that was at ~100,000 miles. The filter was also replaced with the last fluid change, but it had not been replaced before then. Nothing else has been done to this transmission.
I've heard it could be a bad solenoid but there are several solenoids on this transmission and I'd like to narrow it down if possible. Or it could be something more expensive which would probably mean a one-way ticket to the scrapyard. Either way, it'd be nice to know what's going on. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your CEL must be on? If yes, what code are you getting? Your cheapest move to prolong the inevitable is try changing the fluid again. If there is any improvement, drive a few hundred miles then change it again. Drain and fill on both about 3 1/2 quarts each time. If no improvement, I would not bother changing sensors or solenoids because they seldom fail. You can test them first if you want to try that. Many post on its locations and how to test it. But don’t get your hopes up too much. It’s usually is just a temporary fix, if at all. You will need a new transmission if you want to keep driving the van.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
If the fluid change was just a single drain and fill (3 1/2qts) then only 42% of the fluid is new.
With that amount of mileage on the old fluid (100 k miles) you should do 3 more with driving time in between.
I would definitely do another drain and fill very soon. Make sure they use an approved fluid, hopefully Honda DW-1.
What does the fluid look like? Is it pinkish and clear and doesn't smell burnt?

Still, wait for others to respond since your 'problem' could well be something pretty low cost to fix, hopefully.
It is pretty easy to do a drain and fill yourself if you are at least a little mechanically inclined and there are you tube videos on how to do it.

Is the D light (Drive Position Light) blinking?
If so, you need to get the codes read. or, get them read anyways.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Try starting in D3, 2, and 1 and see if the problem changes.

And yeah, change the fluid. 100,000 miles on the previous fluid load means it's was completely exhausted. Change it at least 2 more times, 3 even.

·
Registered
662 Posts
209,000 miles. Original transmission. I'd say you are the luckiest guy in the world. IMHO, if van is in good shape.
I'd skip the fluid changes, and find a recommended independent shop, for a rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
The IP of the OP comes up as shared with spammers from India. I had used SpamClean and that had banned the OP and deleted this thread. Seems, OP registered with the same US IP again so I have approved their 2nd ID and unbanned their first ID as well. Not sure if there is a problem with the forum s/w but the OP ID is coming up with shared IP with 3 other known spamming IDs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a solenoid replacement fix a similar issue on another Honda of ours, but not an Odyssey. Under 100k miles, I'd say that'd be it, but over 200k, it might just be close to the end. We have two 20+ year old hondas in the family. One feels like you're being rear ended when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and the Odyssey runs in 1st until about 3500 rpm sometimes before it decides to shift while also not feeling like its actually propelling the car at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts