Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've got no low beams, but high beams work fine. Since both left and right are on separate fuses and relays, I rule that out immediately, and dive right into taking the steering column apart, and remove the turn signal/hi/low beam stalk.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find it easy to remove, disassemble, clean and reassemble, all the while proud of how easily I've solved the problem and saved the family boodles of money.

Nope, still no low beams. Take the lower dash apart and examine all the connectors and find nothing out of the ordinary.

Resolve to step back and check the fuses and relays, and they too are just fine.

With visions of huge dealership fees swirling in my head I do the last thing I can think of: pull the bulbs.

$%[email protected]*$&^!!!!! It was such a small break in both bulb filaments (the dreaded Sylvania Silverstars!), I needed a magnifying glass to confirm it, but damned if BOTH bulbs weren't burned out. Boy, do I feel stoopid....

>>> To save the next poor fool from my folly, might I nominate this post for sticky-dom? <<<

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
You've got to be kidding. Both low filaments quit at the same time?

That is unusually unlucky.

OF

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they were, it was for a very short time. How do I know? My wife has what I find to be the annoying habit of leaving the headlights on all the time (I'm so old school, I paid Volvo $80 to deprogram my daytime running lights), and I noticed them both on early last week.

The break in the filaments were so identical, and hard to detect, I find the theory that they ran out their service lives near simultaneously somewhat plausible.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I'd agree. When I ran Osram Hyper H4 bulbs, one quit...boy, was it DARK. It's pretty noticeable when you lose a bulb. Similarly, I pulled a relay to see if the effect was equally noticeable with regular bulbs. Yup, obvious.

OF

·
Registered
71 Posts
I suppose it's possible for both to die at the same time but i would think there is a hidden issue somewhere. Since left and right are on separate circuits most of what comes to mind is a wash..... hmmmm.... I don't know, I'm actually curious if your switch didn't take them out and you fixed the issue by accident.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The first thing anybody would do when a light does not turn on is to replace the bulb. Would you start ripping the wires and sockets etc without replacing the bulb EVEN if you think the filament looks intact? Even if the bulb costs multiple hundred dollars (e.g. a projector)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts