Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'm new to this so bear with me

I have a 2004 Odyssey EX with 57,xxx miles. I purchased it 02/2011. I had it checked out prior to me purchasing it and checked out fine. Now I've got a nice little ping/tap. I wouldn't consider it a knock yet. I've had a few places look at it. Answers range from bad rod, wrist pin, spark plug, to get a new used engine because it's cheaper than it would be to rebuild the engine/motor. The places that have checked it out all came to the same conclusion the noise is coming from the bottom/lower end of motor=not good.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question...no noise does not go away regardless of cold/warm. I'm not 100% on what you mean by poor fuel pinging?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Mine has ticked like a bomb since day one. I have had it back to have valves adjusted because they said the noise was not normal. They adjusted the valves, noise did not go away and they also adjusted their opinion....The noise was then normal. Honda Sucks! People ask me all the time....What the hell is that Noise....I simply tell them..

That is the sound of Honda Quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm starting to find out. Not sure if it's worth to keep sinking money into to, to get opinions and then of course every opionin is different. So I will continue to drive it until it doesn't drive correctly. Thankfully it still drives/rides like normal

Mine has ticked like a bomb since day one. I have had it back to have valves adjusted because they said the noise was not normal. They adjusted the valves, noise did not go away and they also adjusted their opinion....The noise was then normal. Honda Sucks! People ask me all the time....What the hell is that Noise....I simply tell them..

That is the sound of Honda Quality.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Yeah, I have a little over 50 K on it and it still runs well..Just sounds like **** and sucks gas like a cheap ho.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Great question...no noise does not go away regardless of cold/warm. I'm not 100% on what you mean by poor fuel pinging?
Pinging is the sound of the fuel mixture burning prematurely in the cylinder. It sounds like marbles rattling inside the engine. It usually occurs only when the engine is under load. It's often caused by poor fuel octane, but it can also be caused by engine problems.

Another possible cause of persistent engine noise is a worn piston skirt. The engine can run a long time with this condition. It's probably better to drive it rather than to worry about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it's piston slap, i'd drive it till it sounds like an old diesel. The milage is too low to have major issues with the rod bearings already unless there is some serious neglect or abuse in the past. If this is the case, you'll need an engine soon enough.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It sounds like the ticking is loud. Do you have any warranty from the dealer? I have 135,000 on my '04 and there isn't any ticking at all. None. With a piece of wood you can listen to different parts of the engine. It might help to isolate whether it's upper engine or lower engine. Maybe you can isolate to one side of the engine. CAREFUL around the belts or any other moving parts. Is there anything milky in the engine oil? I ask because that would indicate a blown head gasket. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I have heard a lot of vans Just like mine........No one I have heard sounds anything remotely close to mine

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Any suggestions/thoughts?
Thanks guys
It is possibly a loose spark plug. Sometimes they are not torqued down in the heads properly, if it starting to back out you get a clicking type noise. If never been done, it is a good time to spend 30 minutes and pull the plugs and lube the threads. Plugs should still be good, this oull and lube just prevents them from freezing in the heads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, it sounds like piston slap. Mine is an 02 with 410,000klms on the clock and still running strong. Just makes diesel noises! Drive it till the cows come home. You won't be disappointed. I'm not!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts