Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ody has 205K on it. Trans failed to backup one day. Also seemed to move forward in higher gear. When shifted to reverse, it makes noise similar to grinding and does not reverse at all. I replaced or cleaned all the screens on the solenoid shift valves on top and on front. New gaskets and o-rings. Replaced inline filter also. Drained and refilled trans with Honda fluid. Now trans drives normal, shifts forward normal, but same noise and no reverse. On a hunch I drove up a hill that had a turnoff below me and let it coast backwards in reverse. What do you know, reverse is operational. I can continue to reverse for blocks, under power, even uphill. Soon as out of reverse, either to park or neutral, then back to reverse, just grinds. Still drives forward normal. Can repeat coasting in reverse over and over, always works till shift out of reverse, then fails. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Going to guess the damage has mostly been done. Check your VIN, is this an 04 or 04.5 with the revised transmission?

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
How do I tell if it is the 04 or 04.5, please?
Above VIN 5FNRL18...4B051620 is 2004.5, of which yours is one.

These incarnations were engineered with better internal lubrication. However, sorry to say the reverse problem you describe seems beyond that.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Was this transmission ever run low on fluid?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
op
Was this transmission ever run low on fluid?
No, has not been run on low fluid level. Had no leaks and was right on full mark when first acted up. Fluid was dark and I had read about the screens under both of the solenoid valve bodies. Decided to clean all of them, replacing the one mounted in the gasket. All the solenoids tested good, resistance and powered by 12V. New inline filter and Honda fluid. That did correct all forward issues. Reverse only works after coasting backwards about 30 feet. Then it will work perfectly as long as it remains in reverse. Can stop & continue reversing. Quiet, like nothing wrong. Shift out & will only grind in reverse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe R isn't actually engaging because of shift linkage? Or something else is causing it NOT to actually go into the R gear.
Just guessing.
Buffalo4
I have tried manipulating the shift lever on both sides of reverse "R" with no change. When I trick it into working by coasting, it operates in "R" detent fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts