Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this van and except for paint peeling is in good shape, but with that many miles should I do a tranny replacement or buy another van?

Are certain years better than others?

Thanks
JD

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Many feel the the '07 without VCM (LX, EX) was the best.
Price of replacement van with unknown issues vs. replacing the trans.. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
2002-2004 have the better transmission with the external filter and 2nd gear clutch oiler mod.
miles are kind of high...if the van is <500 bux, provided everything works, had the timing belt and water pump recently changed, along with other pertinent service history made available.
might be worth the 2 grand to rebuild the AT unit.
it would have to be a super clean EXL for me to even bother.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I love this van and except for paint peeling is in good shape, but with that many miles should I do a tranny replacement or buy another van?

Are certain years better than others?

Thanks
JD
How long a PM history do you have for current van? If you know it's been well maintained for a lot of years, could be worth it.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
530 Posts
Many feel the the '07 without VCM (LX, EX) was the best.
Price of replacement van with unknown issues vs. replacing the trans.. :unsure:
Would you also include the '08-'10 without VCM (LX, EX) since they are also Gen 3, or did something else get changed?

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
The price of used cars is in the stratosphere right now.

In comparison, the $2-2.5K to rebuild the transmission would be a bargain.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,759 Posts
Would you also include the '08-'10 without VCM (LX, EX) since they are also Gen 3, or did something else get changed?
Mechanically, the '07 LX and EX were the same as the '08-'10 LX and EX. I assume kernel meant to include those years. However, the '07 EX-L is "recommended" over the '08-'10 EX-L, since the '07 has the less-problematic VCM-1. It is also recommended over the '05-'06 EX-L, since the '07 has a stronger transmission.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,759 Posts
I think the decision on whether to replace the transmission depends on what you think the car might need next. If it's had a lot of work done recently, doesn't really have any issues, you know the engine has been well maintained, might not be a bad idea to spend the ~$2-2.5K for a rebuilt transmission installed. It'd be the perfect time to put in a new rear main seal too, and drive it to 300K+ miles.

However, if you know the car will need a timing belt job soon, need tires and brakes, the suspension is worn and squeaky/clunky, or you suspect the car might need other work soon (AC, exhaust, etc), you could be looking at significant maintenance expense in addition to the transmission. In that case, it's probably better to take the money that you were going to spend on maintaining the old car and the transmission repair, and put it towards a newer one.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
Is it a 2004.5?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,759 Posts
I believe some 08-09 had cam issues with the J series
I believe those were mostly VCM engines, though. I don't think non-VCM J35s were really affected. And the cam issues affected a very small number of VCM engines, anyhow.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
I believe some 08-09 had cam issues with the J series
I believe those were mostly VCM engines, though. I don't think non-VCM J35s were really affected. And the cam issues affected a very small number of VCM engines, anyhow.
I believe the camshaft issues were prevalent with the VCM-2 J35A7. I'm not sure if the issue was actually VCM related or if it just coincidentally was a manufacturing defect with those specific engines.

But it's not just 08-09 and it's actually not even just Odysseys. Pretty much every vehicle equipped with the VCM-2 engine seems to have this problem. 08-17 Odysseys, and I've seen this happen on 08-12 Accord V6s as well.

Reactions: jiantao
1 - 13 of 13 Posts