Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Odyssey LX (119K mi!) and have ignored my non-functioning rear vents for long enough. I read through many, many threads and I was ready to bypass the thermistor using the 194LL lamp since many have had good luck with that particular fix. However, when I removed the motor, I noticed that the gears do not turn freely. I removed the small electric motor from it's housing and I just can't seem to get those gears to move more than a millimeter. Granted, I didn't force things too hard, but I thought that they would at least move freely. When I do try to move them, the little piece that connects the motor to the gears makes a small movement, but that's it.

So, my question is whether there is an problem with the actual gear mechanism, or is this normal operation for this unit? Does the motor actually need to be in place for the gears to operate? I could hear the relays click when I tried to use the window switch, so that part seems to work and I just assumed at first that I was having the same issues as everyone else. However, now I'm not so sure.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
980 Posts
IMHO, the rear vents don't do much. Have the same issue on my 2001. When the rear vents/motor started "acting" up.
I just put, "blue painter's tape", over the "controls" to keep from accidently opening the vents. (my fear, vents would open and then be "stuck" in the open position). Problem solved ! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO, the rear vents don't do much. Have the same issue on my 2001. When the rear vents/motor started "acting" up.
I just put, "blue painter's tape", over the "controls" to keep from accidently opening the vents. (my fear, vents would open and then be "stuck" in the open position). Problem solved ! :)
OK - gotcha. I've never actually had them working, so maybe it's best not to poke the bear haha! Thanks for your response

·
Registered
665 Posts
I bought my van 11 years ago and neither vent worked consistently, but occasionally one vent would open but not shut. I decided to replace only the driver’s side because it was simpler since the pass side has all the heating and A/C equipment.

I find the vent is great here in the spring and fall, when cool air is available outside without turning on the a/c. It’s kind of like opening the windows of my house - love the fresh air - but can’t do it in the heat of summer or in the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I just took it completely apart and there is some issue with the gear mechanism, so it looks like I'll be trying out a replacement motor/assembly. Strangely enough, the old motor still works, it just can't turn the jacked up gears

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m pretty sure the gear is a plastic worm gear and it’s not meant to be backdrivable. This means that someone can’t force your window open from the outside (or the inside). Only the motor can turn the gear.

If someone tried really hard to force the gear it would probably mangle something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True - thanks for pointing that out! The weird thing is that when I plugged in only the old motor, it worked, but when I had it hooked up to the actual gears nothing happened. So, I don't know if this is still indicative of the bad thermistor or not. Thoughts?

Ended up getting a replacement part and it works, but it actually works in the opposite fashion to what I expected (lifting up on the switch closes the window while pushing down opens the window). For my part, I hooked up everything as it should have been, but I wonder if the new part had the motor installed upside down, thereby reversing it's polarity. I don't really want to tear it apart again, so I may just need to live with it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts