Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Odyssey LX 113,000 miles. What is typically removed to do a transmission rebuild or take out the old and install a rebuilt? The ride home after I picked it up the steering was difficult. I also got the check engine light the first time I started it after I got it home. Did any of the power steering assembly (hoses, pump, etc.) need to be moved/removed to do the work? And what would cause the check engine light to go on after a rebuild or replacement with a rebuilt transmission. I am already angry after the price was way higher than the quote so I want to have this information before I take it back. I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Get a code reader and check the code(s) that came with the CEL. Good move on getting things figured out as much as you can before confronting them with the problems.

The dealer did 3x AT replacements on my '99, and collateral damage was not uncommon in the repairs, but I never had a PS issue. I don't know specifically how much the PS gets touched. If anything, I'd be concerned about the steering rack - like maybe they levered against it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
2001. On 4th rebuilt tranny. This happened on #3. When removing the tranny, Mechanic, "broke" the connector" from
the "wire harness" (big bundle of wires, that go all over the engine compartment).

The connector goes to a "switch", that controls the power steering. This switch, "tells" the power steering pump to
give it more "power", when you are driving slowly and making turns, etc. (hope this makes sense).

Anyways, there was no "replacement" part number for the broken connector. My van still drove, and I could not
feel any difference in the power steering.

I ended going to a DEALER. Walked back to the Odyssey mechanic. And he was the one who told me, yep, they
break. But they, just take apart the broken connector, rebuild it. He had a bunch of rebuilt ones.

It took weeks, but I think, (AMCO, #3), must have begged the Dealer to give them one, which they eventually replaced on my van. (in the meantime, I had already gone to a auto recycle and picked up one, still in my garage).

Your van, has the 5 speed, tranny. Mine is the 4 speed. But might be similar.

What I would do, if I were you. "LOOK", down in the engine bay. And see if you have a "broken" wire. The wire would leave the wiring harness, have a connector, then go no where.

When you mentioned power steering issue......that is exactly what the switch is for, and is common to break when
removing tranny. Good luck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
OH, I just remembered. Here is the way it works. When the van is driving slowly, ie. parking, slow turns, etc.

The computer, TELLS the engine to speed up slightly, to increase the power steering assist.

So the wire leaves the wiring harness, but I forget where it goes. But it controls the power steering assist.

Again, look up this "function", get a diagram, and see, if your mechanic broke this, and just left it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is the cause the mechanic has to fix at no charge to me, correct??? When never had problems with the power steering before.
I had the transmission rebuilt so I can sell it and I paid it off early. We don’t need 3 vehicles. The has been such a nightmare. I just want the problems fixed, sell it and be rid of it. This entire escapade started with the dealer ripping us off. The transmission was bad when we bought it 3 years ago.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Of course if broken, connector, is the cause. The mechanic should repair at no cost. To clarify. In my case. There is a
male portion and a female portion. The "connector". This got broken when removing the tranny.

This is NOT rocket science. Just has to be "re-attached". The 2 pieces male/female, snap together.

Do a little research on line. Get wiring diagram. Find "something", labeled referring to "power steering switch",
And then look under the hood, with flashlight, and check and see, if "your", van still has the "wire" intact or not.

I know in my case, was difficult to find the broken wire, BUT when mechanic pointed it out to me, Obvious, easy
to see.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts