Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 has about 80K on it. I'm the single owner. I had the transmission fluid changed awhile back per manual. Past few months it has shifted a little rough between 2nd and 3rd gear.

With all the transmission problems of the 99-04 models, it seems that the 2004 has escaped most of the problems - or at least there are fewer complaints about the 04. Is this perception correct?

I plan on having the mechanic do an ATF drain and fill to see if that helps the shifting problem. While he is at it should I change the ATF filter as others have done for older models? Or is this not needed for a 2004? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well, there is no recommended time frame by the book to change the filter, but if you have seen on previous threads on the topic, that filter does get pretty gummed up over time.
I looked at mine at the 45K time frame and estimated that I would change it at 50K increments from now on. Others that had it on for longer intervals had all kinds of debris in there and the was worry about the filter going into bypass.
Others, including myself also added a magafine filter in the loop to further remove the debris (black sludge) generated from the clutch packs. The filter is readily available from the dealer or online sources( Handa has a link on this web site).
Your at 80k, I would change it. How does your fluid look? Smell?

JMO

pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Labatt
The mechanic gave me a 50/50 chance that this would make it worse. But the shift is still pretty mild, and i've done the 2 atf changes in the past. So i think this is more preventitive.
So i'm going to roll the dice.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I'm with labattsipa...fresh, clean fluid and extra filtration is always a positive.

See manualman's post on this thread (3rd one from the top):

Brief discussion on ATF changes

OF

·
Registered
529 Posts
it is preventative.
based upon all the postings here the clutch material is what is wearing off. thats the black grey stuff we are seeing on the plug magnet and in the filters. many have reported back after trans rebuilds the clutch plates are down to nothing but metal. by removing as much of this material as we can from the fluid helps to keep the selonoids working and the passages clear.
the most accurate reason for the problem was stated by someone recently,,, 5000 pound van with a trans meant for a 3000 pound car. nuf said.
want to help[ your tranny last alittle longer,, don't rev it past 3500 rpm,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the AT filter replaced and a drain and fill.
The AT filter was about $50.
The labor was one hour at $95.
And he bought 5 quarts of ATF-Z1 at about $10 per quart, although only 4 were needed and so I took one quart home. So all total it was about $185 for this service. Thought I would post this for reference.

He complained about how much work it was as there are no clamps, just 2 bolts and a threaded end. A lot of stuff had to be removed. The inside of the old filter and the fluid looked very dark almost black. My last ATF change was 2009. On the road, the shifts seem smoother but it might just be in my head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Labatt
The mechanic gave me a 50/50 chance that this would make it worse. But the shift is still pretty mild, and i've done the 2 atf changes in the past. So i think this is more preventitive.
So i'm going to roll the dice.
Changing out 3 1/2qt at a time is only changing 1/3 of your fluid. Get all new fluid little by little doing it 3 times in a row. 😁

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
...and drive some in between each drain and fill making sure to go through all gears and get torque converter to lock.
For preventative maintenance some do an ATF d&f with every other oil change.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
He complained about how much work it was as there are no clamps, just 2 bolts and a threaded end. A lot of stuff had to be removed. The inside of the old filter and the fluid looked very dark almost black. My last ATF change was 2009. On the road, the shifts seem smoother but it might just be in my head.
Yeah, it's a job to R&R the filter. Honda had apparently never intended for it to be replaced. So they located it without regard to easy access.

The black fluid was certainly in need of a change.

Do another 3 changes over the next while, per the advice in posts above. That will remove even more of that old, useless fluid.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Changing out 3 1/2qt at a time is only changing 1/3 of your fluid. Get all new fluid little by little doing it 3 times in a row. 😁
After you do this 3x drain and fill, which really cleans the tranny well, I think the best preventative maintenance policy is to begin doing a single drain and fill with every oil change. The ATF stays clean and the additives fresh. I am surprised Honda never recommended this, seeing as so many of these transmissions died an early death. This transmission also needs an external cooler.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Reactions: Pixburd54

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know, I know - old thread, but being we're discussing AT filters, what is the part# for the '02 AT filter?
Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts