Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our van has 90000 miles on it, however the transmission was replaced with "new" at 26000 when we bought it at the dealer in 2006. Admittedly, I have never changed the transmission fluid, my bad, never thought to. Coming home from the beach three days ago, with cruise control set and about to go up a slight highway incline, the engine raced to 5k rpms and oil coated the back window. We got the car home, determined it to be transmission fluid and are currently weighing our options. Point #1, the fluid level (albeit dirty and smelling burnt) is not lower, and is not leaking where I can see. Also, the van is performing, shifting, and running just fine. Am I playing with fire by just changing the fluid? How can fluid blow out but stop leaking? I had a transmission guy check the codes, no errors registered at all. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 2008 or newer. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think you need to take it to a mechanic to check it out. Transmission fluid can't come out the exhaust unless it was out in the engine. It also can't show up all over the back window without the level dropping in the transmission. Forget assuming a transmission problem because of all the transmission problems you read here and get it to a qualified mechanic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our van has 90000 miles on it, however the transmission was replaced with "new" at 26000 when we bought it at the dealer in 2006. Admittedly, I have never changed the transmission fluid, my bad, never thought to. Coming home from the beach three days ago, with cruise control set and about to go up a slight highway incline, the engine raced to 5k rpms and oil coated the back window. We got the car home, determined it to be transmission fluid and are currently weighing our options. Point #1, the fluid level (albeit dirty and smelling burnt) is not lower, and is not leaking where I can see. Also, the van is performing, shifting, and running just fine. Am I playing with fire by just changing the fluid? How can fluid blow out but stop leaking? I had a transmission guy check the codes, no errors registered at all. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 2008 or newer. Any help is appreciated!
Back window- weird. Are you sure you didn't run over some type of oil spill? The Cruise control could cause the engine to race on a slippery surface. Did the TCS engage? I think I'd just wait and see if it happens again. I would however, do a tranny fluid change, as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My guess is the tranny fluid overheated, foamed up and was blown out the dip stick hole. It doesn't take much to make it look like allot on the rear window, the air movement will pull it there. Do the 3 times drain/fill and see what happens. Also good to add/replace the filter and do the screen cleaning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do the 3 times drain/fill and see what happens.
I agree. I think if you've waited 90k miles and it took an incident to be concerned with your transmission it might be in your best intrest to take the car to a mechanic and have it looked at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts