Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My just purchased vehicle: 2004 Honda Odyssey LX VIN 5FNRL18564B142543
Note that ...142543 > ...051621
mileage: 102,000 mi. When driving the transmission seems fine (no issues noted)

Transmission fluid changes:
45,542 at Pep Boys
75,488 at Pep Boys
81,479 at Honda Dealer (6000 mile interval?)

from odyclub post

That means any 2004 Odyssey with VIN 5FNRL18..4B051621 and beyond has a "good" A/T.

So here are the recommendations I've collected:

Install Tru-Cool LPD4544 22,000GVW cooler (from post by herrhaus)
Install Magnefine filter
Use Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage DEX/MERC ATF with Lubegard Platinum
Replace Transmission fluid every 15000mi with filter replacement(s) at 30000mi

Is anything overkill? Anything I'm missing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Use Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage DEX/MERC ATF with Lubegard Platinum
In my enthusiasm I figured Lubegard platinum is even better than red. What do the lubegard users
here think? Red is what is mostly used based on my forum searches.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have not used Lubegard. My opinion is Lubegard Platinum is not recommended as additive to highly friction modified ATF.

Lubegard Platinum appears to be recommended for DEXRON 3 to make it behave like a more highly friction modified ATF. Dexron 3 is not highly friction modified. Highly friction modified means more slippery under some conditions to reduce torque converter shudder.

From the Lubegard platinum blurb:
"Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® ATF’s to perform like MERCON® V ATF

Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® , V ATF to perform like a highly friction modified ATF, such as:

– Honda® Genuine ATF
– Toyota® Type T/TII/TIV
– Mopar® ATF + 3® (7176)
– Mopar® ATF +4® (9602)
– And all other highly friction modified ATF's"

I suspect Maxlife is highly friction modified because Valvoline recommends Maxlife for transmissions that had highly friction modified fluid originally.

Adding more slipperyness to ATF that is already more slippery reduces clutch grip, although it may make shifts smoother and torque converter clutch shudder less by allowing more slip. It is my opinion that the Honda AT does not need more slip and that slip under load creates wear and loose clutch particles.

"LUBEGARD® AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (ATF) PROTECTANT" in the red bottle does not claim to modify Dexron 3 to something else but it does claim
" Anti-chatter in clutch packs (allow overnight penetration for maximum benefit).
Anti-shudder with converter clutches (allow overnight penetration for maximum benefit)."
at least in the blurb on their website.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good post 'buildit'.
I haven't seen anyone else recommend LubeGard Platinum or the Black with the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf.
Some recommend using the LubeGard Red with the Valvoline Dex/Merc atf and also with the Honda DW-1.
I use Lubegard Red but I haven't noticed any change in the transmission shifting. It still shifts good.
Buffalo4
PS: No experience with the Platinum or Black, but I would be hesitant to use it with DW-1 or Valvoline or any other synthetic atf that is compatible with the Ody tranny by itself.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
My 2003 EX's 4th or 5th gear (yes, I left it in D instead of D3) would sometimes slip badly while towing heavy on a hot day up a slight upgrade at medium throttle displacement.

When I switched to Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc, that behavior ceased immediately. Ashland must have some sort of anti-slip static friction modifier that does the work. I really can't explain it otherwise, but it's a welcome feature of the MaxLife ATF. This was before I started using Lubegard Red when the weather got colder.

Aside from that, the Valvoline ATF shifts were about the same or slightly firmer than when I was using AT-Z1. The best words I can think to describe the shifting with MaxLife would be "more positive".

Like Buffalo says, no difference noted with Lubegard Red, other than in the winter, whatever little bit of annoying first-shift-into-reverse clunk I still had occurring, the Lubegard pretty much halted that annoying problem, too. The Valvoline ATF had already gotten rid of the lion's share of it, but the Lubegard Red just about killed off what remained of the problem.

coot, that Odyssey is a find. The only way it could be mo' bettah is if the paint were Taffeta White. :D

OF

·
Registered
575 Posts
That might be a little over kill. Tranny cooler - good idea, maxlife - good idea. Change the tranny filter (black round one that is changeable) - good idea. Other than that, I would just change the fluid regularly. By the way, I have a 2004 with 328K miles on the original tranny. Runs great and no issues at all. I just take care of it.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
By the way, I have a 2004 with 328K miles on the original tranny.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: Man, the gods of longevity have smiled on you. Is yours a 15621+ VIN as well? Aside from the third clutch problems, which were addressed in VIN's 15621 and later, this was probably a decent design as far as transmissions go for general family hauling in a minivan.

OF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone give me the vin numbers on the 2004 odyssey transmission problems. I saw it on the forum and of course now I can not find it. Thank you

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
VIN 5FNRL18_____4B051621 or higher. Namely, look at the final eight characters. First two will be 4B for that model year, IIRC. Next six must be 051621 or numerically higher to indicate that particular 5-speed transmission includes engineering changes directed by the NHTSA to the third clutch pack (change to steels with appropriate surface friction characteristics, and changes to other items like a washer, bearing and port plug installation to restore proper design ATF flow for lubrication and heat exchange).

OF

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have owned an 04 with the 'good' trans for about 4 yrs. Bought with 201k kms and now at 280k kms. All i have done are 3x drain and fills every 10-15k with valvoline maxlife atv. Shifts nice and good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts