Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Odyssey, just shy of 74K miles.

About a month ago, I was getting (what I thought was) loud tire noise, which made sense, since the originals were getting very worn.

I went to a local tire dealer, and bought 4 Pirelli P4's, which I thought would fix the problem.

Well, it didn't. I went back to the tire dealer, they inspected the tires, and the guy told me he thought my front brakes were the problem.

I had an epiphany, my front brakes were (original) and worn, and I figured the wear indicators were causing the noise, which made sense. I replaced the fronts, and plan on changing the rears this weekend.

In the meantime, let me describe the noise:

More of a vibration than a noise. Driving, I can stick my head out the window and not really hear it as much as feel the whole van vibrate. It seems to get some parts of the van vibrating to the point where I "hear" it. It starts at about 15 mph, and never goes away up to freeway speed, but does seem to change in very minor ways that are not predictable. Sometimes it does seem like tire noise, because it seems to change slightly over different road surfaces. I am not sure, but sometimes the noise seems to go away a bit when I am making a powered turn.

My first thought was front end noise, and although i'm not absolutely sure, I still think it is. If it is front end I would venture a guess of either the CV(s) or the wheel bearings.

I hesitate to think CV's because the noise (vibration) does not include any clicking, which seems to leave the wheel bearings.

Any thoughts on my dilemma?

Gene

PS

This is my first time changing the pads on my Odessey, and I *think* I installed the wear indicators correctly. Does the (spring) part that sticks out face the disc? and is it installed on the inner part of the disc, or the outer?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing but the sound usually changes in pitch a bit as speed increases. Side pressure from turning usually does make a difference and bumps can too. I would start looking at the WB's 1st. Watch the video below. He has a cheap way to check them just be careful. Sadly, it could also be a tranny bearing but I doubt it's a CV joint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts