Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EXL-RES, Teal/Beige, VCMII Tuner, Airlift rear suspension, and Weathertek floor mats.
95 Posts
Greetings fellow Ody. Owners,
When I purchased our ‘06 EXL-RES I had know idea when the transmission fluid was changed last. I did a 3X D&F and replaced filter. The fluid was really dark like the video before I did the D&F’s so I thought, after seeing the first filter so nasty, I would change the oil and filter again at the next regular engine oil change. I did and found the filter almost as nasty as the first time. I have since changed the filter one more time and it came out much better. I suggest changing the filter two or three times, or until it comes out reasonably clean, if the fluid is that dark and/or the drain plug has a lot of “growth” (sludge) on it. Just something to consider every few D&F’s. I now make it a service item every 30K mikes or so which is about every 6-7 months in our case. Anyway, just an idea for those DIYer’s who are wanting to make their Ody. last.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting the video. Why is the transmission fluid so dark in this video? Looks more like engine oil.
Oh yeah, that's another subject LOL

I did multiple drain and fills on this van, I lost track after 5. The fluid is still more or less dark. 90% sure it's never been changed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quick 2 tips for those who have never done it before:
- loosen another 10mm bolt further back by the black hard line, then you can flex it more out of the way. The hard line sometimes does not line up straight and you can cross thread while putting back on the 17mm bolt.

- Use a new washer for the banjo fitting on the hard line, if it's been on there for a while, or it develops a leak.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve had my 2005 Touring since 2012. Until today, I never knew about this filter. We’re at 240,000 miles on the original trans and it’s still going strong.

I installed a separate trans filter (magnafine) and cooler when I bought the vehicle with 100,000 miles and I’ve been pretty disciplined about changing (drain and fill) my trans fluid about every 30,000 miles or so. I’m definitely going to tackle this filter and replace the magnafine as well.

Thank you OdyClub!

·
Registered
2006 EXL-RES, Teal/Beige, VCMII Tuner, Airlift rear suspension, and Weathertek floor mats.
95 Posts
Can you point a guy in a direction as to the correct Magna-fine filter one should install on an ‘06 EXL-RES with 270,000 miles on it? Any help would be appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts