Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help ... I did ATF drain/refill on our 07 using the great DIY sticker on this site. Was so confident, I offered to do my brother-in-laws 05 Ody. I looked under, I cannot see the plug anywhere it should be. On our 07 it is easily visible and accessible, on the 05 just seems non-existent.

I searched web and this site, no photos. Any 05 guidance much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 05 had the plug in the exact same place as my 09. I think you need to look again.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
skaplitt said:
Help ... I did ATF drain/refill on our 07 using the great DIY sticker on this site. Was so confident, I offered to do my brother-in-laws 05 Ody. I looked under, I cannot see the plug anywhere it should be. On our 07 it is easily visible and accessible, on the 05 just seems non-existent.

I searched web and this site, no photos. Any 05 guidance much appreciated. Thanks.
I believe this is covered in later posts to the Cnn's ATF drain DIY.
Anyway. On my 2005 EXL, the drain plug is on the driver side (left) of the transmission case. It is the only bolt with a square opening for the wrench.

On CNN's 2007, the drain bolt was on the passenger side of the transmission case.

Max

·
Registered
18 Posts
2005 & 2006 the drain bolt is on the drivers side of the case.

In 2007 they redesigned the transmission and the location of the drain moved to the passenger side of the case.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Biggus Blockus said:
2005 & 2006 the drain bolt is on the drivers side of the case.

In 2007 they redesigned the transmission and the location of the drain moved to the passenger side of the case.
Very possible. I know it is within a couple inches of where it was located.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Thanks everyone for the replies. Took it to a Honda dealer and indeed it is on the drivers side (so there I'm not blind or nuts, its NOT in the "same place" as the 07). Also, not sure if this is as designed, but not visible w/out jacking. Their pan was tied w wire, apparently during an oil change since owners knew nothing about it. Pan was covering the access point.

So ... after the dealer marked it for me, I could feel it and even get the wrench in, but could not get the breaker bar enough room to open it bc of the pan. Didnt have a jack w me, on the 07 didnt really need one.

Interesting part is I checked the dipstick expecting coffee brown and saw .... nothing. Nada. Not good. So, since I couldn't get the drain plug opened, I just poured in 2 quarts. Checked again, dipstick looked pink and happy.

They have about 45K. Told them to have the dealer check for leaks, otherwise I think they're fine, no ? only issue is the plug magnet hasn't been cleaned, so its contaminant attracting power is weak ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts