Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned the forum & didn't find much information about a suitable substitute for the active front motor mounts on the 05+ EX-L/Touring models.
I recently had my timing belt done at the stealership & they found that the right side & front motor mounts were bad. I had them replace the side mount, but couldn't stomach spending $500+ for the active front motor mount.

Question - Is it possible (or prudent) to replace the EX-L front motor mount # 50830-SFY-023 with a much cheaper EX motor mount # 50830-SHJ-A01 ?

I'm assuming the only difference is that the active mount is electronically controlled in either of two modes for the ECO feature. I'm willing to live with a slight bit of vibration (not sure if I'll even be able to tell the difference) to save $300.
The best prices I found for these are on ebay - $77 shipped for 50830-SHJ-A01 and $377.50 shipped for 50830-SFY-023.

·
Registered
134 Posts
How many miles do you have? I just had my front on my '06 changed and was able to get Honda to cover 25%. Dealer original quoted me just under $1100 for both. Ended up paying only slightly of $600 including tax. Interesting that the warranty price of parts is less than the regular price. So 25% off does not sound like much, it was off the part at $300, not the $500 list.

I have 105k on it. Tell your dealer to call Honda and ask for some consideration. All this depends on a few things. This is our 9th Honda, we bought it at this dealer and have had nearly all work done there too. This helped our case. Hopefully you migt be in a similar situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got about 112K miles. To me, it's the principle. I think charging $500 for an overengineered motor mount is just dumb. Oh well, I bought a Honda, so its to be expected.
I may just buy the cheaper mount & install it myself if it starts to cause any problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ king salami---any luck with installing the cheaper mounts? I'm thinking about the same thing for a 2005 EX-L.
Actually, I haven't done anything with it yet. I did find the cheaper one on Ebay for about $75 (P/N 50830-SHJ-A01). It looks like all you"ll need to "convert" to the cheaper mount is a U-shaped bracket that's used on the LX models. I had planned to pick one up at a local salvage yard. The LX mount does have some kind of vacuum fitting on it, but I figure I'd just leave it disconnected.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Kingsalami, Just curious, stealer stated the motor mounts were bad. Could you tell they were bad? What are the symptoms that the mounts are bad anyways? I'm curious becasue my MIL's '06 with 120K miles has a much quieter sounding engine compared to my '06 with only 45K. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can't feel any significant vibration or noise, I wouldn't worry about it since the front mount is just (over)engineered to isolate engine vibration as the engine switches from idle-to-1000+ rpm and when the VCM (Vehicle Cylinder Management or Eco mode) cycles on and off.
According to my Honda shop manual, the way the techs check it is to cycle the mount on & off via the ECU's diagnostic mode. If the mount doesn't move when they cycle power on & off, the book calls for the mount to be replaced. Kinda crude troubleshooting, eh?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I curious as well about results of using the cheaper non-active mount. I was thinking about doing the same thing. I can't stomach spending hundreds of dollars on a motor mount as well. I remember I used some hard rubber hockey pucks as motor mounts when I was young and broke on one of my first beater cars. It worked like a champ. I'm tempted to see if something like that will work in this case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I guess the question now is" Who's gonna be the guinea pig on this?"
Personally, I'm gonna wait until I can feel a real increase in NVH before I make a move. Then I plan on slapping in the cheaper non-active mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have more or less the same problem with my 2006 Odyssey. There is a slight vibration when I turn on the van or when I am idling. I suspect the front motor mount is going bad or it's toasted. Can anybody here post an update? I was shocked with the $500+ price for that piece and I am the kind of person that likes to install OEM parts on my van. Did the cheaper part work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sensor wire doesn't have anywhere to hook to on the "dumb" mount. The replacement mount is not electronic like the original. I think there may be a vacuum line connection to it, but I'm not 100% sure.
I'm willing to tolerate a bit of vibration versus coughing up $500 for an engine mount.

·
Registered
27 Posts
same guy sells the other mount for $350, and there are some on ebay that have front and rear for $650 iirc.

but yeah, I get what you're saying, especially since people were reporting them failing after just 50k miles from the OEM ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My rear engine mount on 2005 exl failed at arount 70k. By 90k I got just tired of that vibration and bought the mount for $230 on ebay having it installed for $80. So much better now. On our previous Honda99 I had issues with mounts as well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
FYI - in VCM mode, the engine will vibrate more, a lot more. Using a solid mount will transfer more shake to the van. If that's not annoying to you and passengers, you can save a few bucks. Personally while I am a penny pincher, I would spring for the smooth operation of the active mounts. Honda has new part numbers on many of these (like the trouble prone rear) so hopefully they will last longer. Sort of like my buddy who built a heavy duty big block for his muscle car, used poly mounts, then complained of the car having a shake. Well that's what they are going to do is what I told him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the LX model (non VCM mount) Part No 50830-SHJ-A01 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING (ECM) has been replaced by part: 50830-SHJ-305

My Ody is a 2005 with Leather so I had assumed it was an EX-L model. Looking at this thread and mount in my van I don't think I have the VCM engine. That means I have an LX with leather? A combination that I believe wasn't available in the US.

The front engine mount does have a vacuum line coming out if it, can't see a wire. Can someone confirm this is not the VCM type mount on my van? Pictures attached. Thanks
photo 3-2.jpg photo 1-1.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
By replacing with an EX mount; I'd be concerned the effect the extra vibration would have on the rest of the engine/tranny over the next 100K miles. Might be more economical in the long run to replace it with the correct mount.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Check your VIN to confirm the model you have. VCM or not depends on the model.

Not sure about 2005, but for 2006 it's the 8th character:

2 = LX
4 = EX
6 = EX-L
7 = EX-L RES
8 = Touring

1 - 20 of 38 Posts