Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a used 2005 for my wife and having issues already. Have a rumble/shutter noise between 40-50mph. Asked the honda dealer about it and they said it was the motor mounts. Ok, motor mounts seem pretty harmless but then I get the quote on it and got a lttle weak in the knees. Began reading online, and there seems to be a split decision between motor mounts and the torque convertor, creating this problem. Can't really afford either, but definately don't want to do something and not fix it. I just went thru this two years ago with 2001 Isuzu trooper, which had a failing torque convertor/transmission only one month after buying it. Lost 3k on that deal and hoping and praying I can get some good news on this one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm sure others will jump in here but a broken motor mount is an easy (that is to say, sure) diagnosis - one is either broken or it's not.

Unfortunately, replacement of the broken mount(s) will not necessarily cure your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying that fixing the possible bad motor mount is not going to fix the shudder/vibration?? Another mech. told me it was probably an inner cv joint?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying.

Any bad motor mount(s) must be replaced. That's the first step. Unlike the other possible issues, however, you won't be guessing as the diagosis is foolproof.

Has anyone accually looked at the vehicle or are these just guesses?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came in to a local honda dealer as a trade and was then wholesaled to another smaller car lot, from which I bought it. My uncle is the service mngr at the honda place and I called him about it. He told me they had rigidly inspected it when they got it in and decided with the mileage and the repairs needed(mostly cosmetic stuff), it was better for them to wholesale it out. So he read me the list, a long one, and the only major mech. problem listed was the motor mounts. He indicated that the bad motor mount was causing the shutter. ??

·
Registered
854 Posts
Your source could not be any better - replace the bad mount(s).

·
Registered
513 Posts
...and then make sure that the TSBs for the transmission have been/are done and, just to be sure, replace the AT fluid with synthetic fluid. Honda just came out with its own, ATF-W1.

:)

Nicolas

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
A shudder at 40-50 is more likely a faulty torque convertor when going into lock-up mode. Our 05 with a bad rear mount had a wicked vibration at very low speeds, never an issue at speed. Inner CV joints are only (usually) if you are accelerating and get a bad shimmy/vibes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have an 05 EX-L (85K miles) and had the same exact issue you are experiencing. We brought it to the dealer and they determined it was a bad torque convertor, even though I thought it was a motor mount. They quoted $1,900 to replace, however I raised the issue that this is a common issue with the Odyssey. He said he would speak with the Honda area manager and they came back to me saying Honda would cover 75% of the cost.
Works great now with no shuttering and didn't cost me much. Couldn't be happier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts