Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L -- Charging system issue

768 Views 20 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  0dyfamily
Was working fine intermittently few days back. Now it is not working :-(.

There is no ground from the casing. I think this could be the issue. Where does the regulator get the ground from (casing?)? Does the casing get the ground from the alternator bracket? The alternator bracket is totally rusted. Should I replace it? Could this be the issue? I am assuming the bracket plays the role of positioning the alternator. So, can the bracket be replaced without removing the drive belt?

I tried to remove the bolt that connects a wire harness bracket to the alternator bracket. It sheared off :-(. See attachment. Red arrow points to the hole where the harness bracket is bolted. What's the part number of this bolt?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2000 EX 257,000 miles
350 Posts
Check your ground to the engine, there is a black ground cable near the top of the rad to the engine block.
I need a new one soon as mine has a fraying end to the frame/body.
Your brushes or diodes may have failed in your alternator too.
Time for a new alternator 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your ground to the engine, there is a black ground cable near the top of the rad to the engine block.
I need a new one soon as mine has a fraying end to the frame/body.
Your brushes or diodes may have failed in your alternator too.
Time for a new alternator 🤷‍♂️
Few months back I had starting problem. Replaced the battery cables during that time I had replaced the engine ground cable too (for good measure). So, I have good ground on the engine block. The bolt that attaches the alternator to the alternator bracket has ground (on the head). However, I am not able to get any ground from the casing itself.

· Registered
65 Posts
May be it's time for a new alternator (it has 330,000KM / 205K miles)... However, I want to confirm that before taking that route.
You can have the alternator tested for free at Advance / Autozone. They can test it on the car or you can remove it and have them bench test it. Obviously they're trying to get you to buy one of theirs, but if it is indeed shot get a Denso reman instead of their crap. I had to have some crap replacement alternator installed a few years back and it made it 30k before failing again.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can have the alternator tested for free at Advance / Autozone. They can test it on the car or you can remove it and have them bench test it. Obviously they're trying to get you to buy one of theirs, but if it is indeed shot get a Denso reman instead of their crap. I had to have some crap replacement alternator installed a few years back and it made it 30k before failing again.
I don't have any "fancy" equipment to bench test :-(. Are there any basic tests that I can do to conform it has been shot?

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Is there an "Autozone/Advance Auto" type of place in Toronto area where I can have the alternator tested (or bench tested)?
Most full service auto supply shops provide this service.
Even Walmart. and others too.
Not sure of Canadian availability.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most full service auto supply shops provide this service.
Even Walmart. and others too.
Not sure of Canadian availability.
Thanks Bear3412. Since I have over 205K miles I am going to go ahead and replace the alternator and the alternator bracket (which is totally rusted) and the bolts that attach the alternator to the bracket and engine block. Also replacing the charging cable (B+ that goes into the fuse box).

· Premium Member
8,818 Posts
I may pre-emptively start replacing alternators ....

... seems like over 200,000 miles is where they start to "show their age." My 2002 EX is 220,000+ miles, and my Acura TL is about to turn over 200,000 miles.

OF

Reactions: nirvana_1959

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Accidentally tilted the P/S reservoir and spilled some fluid (see pictures). Used STP engine degreaser to get it off the a/c rubber and aluminum hose and cable harness. Going to use degreaser wipes on the pulleys before putting the belt. Anything else?

Should I buy a new belt (couple of years back did the timing belt project during which I had changed the drive belt) or use the degreaser on the old one?

Side Question: I don't see the "mystery" red wire behind the alternator. Should I be worried? A/c works fine.

Attachments

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wiper fluid reservoir: Electrical connection: Apart from the motor connection I see another 2-pin wire coming in (presumably for low-level check). I have attached the picture. It was PITA disconnecting this plug. In the process I must have moved the plug out a bit causing it to leak. I pushed it back and it seems to be holding up. Should I, for good measure, seal the rim with some waterproof caulking or something?

Attachments

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully this will be of some help to somebody...

Looks like Canadian spec is a bit different. There is no mysterious red wire behind the alternator. I couldn't take the alternator out easily (like MrRanger does in his video). Not enough room between the fixed aluminum a/c hose bottom-end and the tensioner on the other side. So, removed the 17mm bolt off the tensioner and set it away. This gave enough room to wiggle the alternator out.
Note: I had already taken out the wiper fluid tank and the P/S fluid reservoir.

Guys any feedback on questions from my previous posts will be much appreciated.

· Registered
2000 EX 257,000 miles
350 Posts
Should I buy a new belt (couple of years back did the timing belt project during which I had changed the drive belt) or use the degreaser on the old one?
Not a bad idea to have a spare belt, depending how the old one cleaned up, it may be still useable.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For people who want to undertake this job note: If you take the P/S reservoir and its bracket, water tank, tensioner pulley (just remove the top bolt and tilt it backward), and the driving belt you will have plenty of room to take the alternator out and put it back in. I had to struggle a bit to press the alternator's bottom half into the slot ("U-bracket") with the holes aligned. Had to use a pry bar to align the holes. May be if you install the top bracket first it will easier to pivot the bottom part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts