Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently started having trouble with our 2005 Honda Odyssey not starting. The electronics will turn on and the key still works to lock and unlock the van. A green key light comes on the dashboard and blinks 5 times. It started last week when we stopped it to get gas, put gas in and it wouldn't start up again. We tried a bunch of different things and took the ACG fuse out and put it back in and the van started up again. It worked for the next 2 days no problem, then it started doing the same thing again. I've switched out the fuses for a new one. I had a locksmith come by today and they checked the transponder chip, that seemed not to be the problem. They ran some tests and I've attached the pictures for that. I just can't figure out what the next step should be or if the answer is just staring me in the face. I've read it could be an immobilizer problem as well, but the pictures make me think its a battery voltage problem. PLEASE HELP!!!
Communication Device Font Computer Gadget Mobile device
Computer Font Line Operating system Electronic device
Computer Font Gadget Rectangle Personal computer

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
Green key light = immobilizer.

If you think it's a battery issue, why not check the battery? How old is it? Get it tested.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Check your battery post connections to make sure the cables are on tight. Many of us have to install shim caps on the battery posts.

Do you have another key you could try?

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your battery post connections to make sure the cables are on tight. Many of us have to install shim caps on the battery posts.

Do you have another key you could try?
I don't have another key to try, but I will check the battery post, I've been searching a little more and seems like it could be a starter issue as well. Once I can get home, I'm going to tighten the cables and tap on the starter to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
If the engine cranks I highly doubt the starter is your issue. One thing you can check is fuel pressure. An immobilizer issue would cause the fuel pump to not run, meaning no fuel would get to the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the engine cranks I highly doubt the starter is your issue. One thing you can check is fuel pressure. An immobilizer issue would cause the fuel pump to not run, meaning no fuel would get to the engine.
Engine is not cranking at all. The lights just turn on, but it doesn't try to start at all.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Can you clear all codes and try again and rescan it to get the codes?

Hope you ruled out the Neutral safety switch. Try to put it in N and foot on brake and try to start.

Also check the starter like WiiMaster suggested.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Engine is not cranking at all. The lights just turn on, but it doesn't try to start at all.
When you turn the key, does all lights DIM? (no click but just DIM)?

Just wondering whether battery voltage has issue. Did you try to charge the battery and re-try? When this happens did you try to jump start the car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have a meter, it will be easier to eliminate low battery issue, or poor battery connector.

Suggested inspection:
1. Voltmeter - Measures the voltage of the battery cable (not the battery post) while crank the car (don't measure it without crank). Expected to be above 11V
2. Visual inspection - Checks Starter fuse - replaces if blown
3. Looks for loose ground wire - starts with engine compartment first, as your scan show power issue in PGM-FI, SRS, ABS, headlight
4. Test relay - Checks Starter cut relay in the driver side fuse box area (Starter Cut Relay Location) - uses jumper cable in the relay pin (fuse box) to turn the starter manually to isolate broken relay. The relay suppose to turn on when you turn the car key to crank

Some other more advance troubleshooting will be more involving:
1. crankshaft position sensor - located below power steering pump
2. fuel line's pressure - soft failing fuel pump, relay, wire
3. Fuel pump
4. Spark plug seal leak - harden spark plug seal (typically replaces together with valve cover gasket) that allow engine oil slow leak into the spark plug well
5. Fuel injector relay - located in same area as Starter cut relay
6. Fuel pump relay - located in same area as Starter cut relay
7. Ignition coil relay - located in same area as Starter cut relay
8. Ground wiring loose/broken - there are several ground wires in the car. Loose or broken wire will leads to poor current flow, and cause multiple & random ignition issue. I heard car owner who have mouse chewed through it, or ground wire cut when driving through pot holes (not Honda). However, loose nut and rust through are possible for any old car
9. Wires in fuse box got chewed by pest

1 - 12 of 12 Posts