Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! New here. Had the transmission on my '05 Odyssey seemingly fail, Monday April 26th. I had only bought it (private sale) about two months ago. Of course, the failure had to happen in the middle of nowhere, 25 minutes from home. Driving through some rolling hills, things were just fine until the very last hill. 3/4 of the way up, the engine revved up over 5k rpm. I let off, but had to make it to the top for safety. Barely making it, put it in park and turned it off. It kinda smelled like something burning. After ten minutes or so, I turned it back on, and tried to get it going again. It wouldn't go forward or reverse, so I called for a tow. Ten minutes after calling for the tow, I tried one more time. I got it to go just enough to be a little farther on the shoulder, but had to floor it for that. Had it dumped in my driveway.
Today, Sunday May 2nd, my husband decided to give it another go. He had to jump it, but it started. Much to my surprise, it actually goes. He only took it around the block, nothing over 25mph. What would cause it to magically work again? I am NOT going to drive it, because obviously I don't want a repeat of the same situation...Thanks in advance!
Jen

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check the ATF fluid level. Maybe it was low and the uphill made the fluid level to drop too low in certain part of Tranny so it overheated?
If you haven't, I say do 3x drain and fill of ATF and give it a whirl again. Nothing much to lose IMHO at this point.
What is the milege of the van? Also, is check engine light on? Maybe it will have a code you can look at to give you some clue as to what may have gone wrong.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,425 Posts
Has the fluid been regularly maintained? If not, there's your problem.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,316 Posts
What's the current mileage on the van?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Could be ATF foaming, which happens when ATF level is too low or too high.

Anyhow, first thing is first - do ATF drain and fill 3-4 times, in order to replace all fluid.

You can also replace ATF filter, it is located on top of the transmission, years 2005-2006 only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replace the fluid and filter. It happened to me and replacing the filter helped. Both 2005 and 2006 model has external ATF filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts