Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally got the chance to install the PS and ATF cooler on my '05 Ody last night. Man, what a pain it is when you don't have the right tools for working with hoses. It took me at least 30 minutes to disconnect the return line to insert the new ATF lines. I even had to remove other parts that weren't described in the directions from Honda to be able to reach underneath. The job took me about 2.5 hours.
One thing that happened was that quiet a bit of PS fluid came out and when I refilled it, I didn't have enough fluid (it was late last night by the time I got done). My wife drove the car this morning to take it to the shop to get the tires rotated and balanced and she told me that the power steering was really hard. The shop is only 4 blocks away and I can imagine her only doing about 10 different turns to get there. Could there have been damage to the power steering? I'm planning on getting more fluid at lunch and refilling it at the shop before I drive it home. The shop called me to let me know that "there was no power steering" but I explained the situation.
Should I worry about this or is it ok for the little that it was driven?

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
Well, its too late now. What ever damage was going to happen already happened. So, I'd top off the PS fluid and wait and see if you see any steering issues. Normally, if you're way too low on PS fluid, the PS Pump should be buzzing like crazy so I think you're going to be fine.

Reactions: MN Murph

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally, if you're way too low on PS fluid, the PS Pump should be buzzing like crazy so I think you're going to be fine.
Ok, so that must have been the noise that my wife was trying to express. :frown:
I will make sure that I top it off and turn the steering wheel side to side a couple of times before I drive it away from the shop, then.

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
Uh oh. Noise is not good. That could have harmed your power steering pump.

Also, there's a big Power Steering pump issues thread on here. To start out with, the power steering pump in the Ody has issues. If I am not mistaken, there's actually a recall/TSB for the 2005 and 2006 models for steering getting too hard to turn in idle (like while trying to pull into a parking spot) so this could have damaged the power steering pump further so perhaps check than you can drive around and turn easily while you are slowly rolling while the gas pedal is not pressed to ensure the pump is fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I got that notice in the mail saying that they are extending the warranty on those up to 100k miles. When I bought the Ody 3 years ago, the dealer had to install a new power steering pump. I haven't really had any problems with it, so hopefully everything is still ok. Like I said.. she only drove it a couple of blocks so hopefully there was no big harm to it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got my power steering warranty extension letter on Saturday. Personally I like a little higher effort wheel, but not while parking. The wife said she thought it was a little tough, but thought that's just the way it was.

Great screen name Jim! I lived in Apopka from 97-06.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Should I worry about this or is it ok for the little that it was driven?
Don't worry, It can't fix anything. ;)

Probably no serious damage. Make sure you get a "Honda" fluid.

You won't really know until you fill it, bleed and drive for a while. You may have accelerated the wear on the PS unit and now it will fail at 270,000 miles instead of 280,000.

Reactions: MN Murph

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, I was afraid of this... I went to Discount Auto Parts and all they have is this Coastal Honda Power Steering Fluid and that's what I bought. Do I need to go to the stealership to buy the Honda Power Steering Fluid or is the Coastal one ok?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Man, I was afraid of this... I went to Discount Auto Parts and all they have is this Coastal Honda Power Steering Fluid and that's what I bought. Do I need to go to the stealership to buy the Honda Power Steering Fluid or is the Coastal one ok?
The aftermarket "Honda" P/S fluid is ~OK, but I'd drain it and get the OE stuff anyway.

You couldn't have done much damage, if any, by using the aftermarket Honda stuff temporarily. Only damage would be if you used generic stuff (non-Honda)

·
Super Moderator
13,876 Posts
I haven't read on here about having to use Honda PS fluid. ATF yes. PS Fluid I don't think so. You should be fine using the aftermarket fluid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went and picked up the van and they had topped off the power steering fluid. We'll see how it does. I guess I'm going to have to keep checking the level for the next couple of days.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I haven't read on here about having to use Honda PS fluid. ATF yes. PS Fluid I don't think so. You should be fine using the aftermarket fluid.
I don't think aftermarket fluid is a problem as long as it is intended specifically for Honda/Acura. But I would not use a regular/generic PSF because Honda fluid specifications are very different from most PSFs.

The Coastal Honda PSF should fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts