Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2005 Ody with Nav. I want to update to the new 2011 White Nav disk, but since I've still got the original nav disk I need to update the nav software first. Of course, the current $99 is enticing, but it doesn't include my year due to the software update. I refuse to pay $189 for an update, which is why I'm still on the original version.

1) Is there a way to get just the software update disk so that I can use the 2011 White Nav disk?
2) Did any older versions include the software update on the White disk itself? If so, what versions?
3) Is there anyone out there that has bought previous updates that included this software update disk and are willing to sell it to me, at a reasonable price. ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Anthony

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've done some searching, and I've gotten a few answers to my own questions. I have version 4.12, which requires a software update to use current versions of the maps.

1) Haven't found a solution to this yet. Looks like it is not available seperately.

2) Versions 4.31, 4.55, 4.56 appear to have updated software AND maps residing on a single disk.
4.62 had bugs, so it was never released for purchase. 4.63 was an update to 4.62 and installed in new vehicles, but appears to have never been released for purchase (so it doesn't include the software update). 4.64 appears to have been released for purchase, but may have included a seperate software update disk (details are kind of sketchy).
4.73 and newer have a seperate software update and a seperate maps disk to upgrade versions below 4.20.

3) With this knowledge, I can check into getting 4.31-4.56 versions off of ebay or craigslist. With the $99 sale going on, I'm expecting a large number of older versions going onto ebay soon. But if anyone on here has a software disk that they are willing to sell, please PM me!

edit: Added more info about versions 4.6x

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks, this is useful information. I knew some of the older versions had the software update and maps on a single disk but did not have the chance to investigate yet.

Another option would be to upgrade the software at the dealer but that might end up being more expensive compared to just ordering the 2 disk set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen some people from other websites able to borrow a 4.31-4.56 disk from a used car dealer to do the update. But that would require a lot of searching for just the right vehicle and a very helpful sales person.

I have a friend at work who's brother works for a Honda dealer, and I've asked him about helping me out. He said they don't keep the updates and have no way of getting any without going through the same people we would. After reading the TSB 05-032 (I think that is it), I noticed that this is exactly how Honda has it setup.

There is another route to take, but it may require a person to "go to the Dark side".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2011 4.92 just arrived this morning. I will install it tonight. For me, I went to the Dark Side to update to 4.31. My software version has been upgraded so that it will (hopefully) update to the new 2011 4.92 version without issues.

The below is quoted from the packaging with the 4.92 DVD. I wish this was published on the navigation website somewhere, because the website makes it appear that I will always have to order the 2 disk set for my 2005 Ody no matter what version I am currently using.

From Installing the update DVD:
"6. If the version of your original DVD label shows: Ver 4.09, Ver. 4.11, Ver. 4.12, Ver. 4.13 (A, B, C, 0) or Ver. 4.20 (A, B), proceed to the instructions for running the setup disc prior to loading your new update DVD.

* If the version of your original DVD label is Ver. 4.31 or greater, proceed to the loading instructions for installing the new update DVD."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Install done, and WOW what a difference! I'm surprised at the amount of info that has been added between the 4.12 to the 4.92 for my area. Did a quick 15 mile roundtrip tonight after updating to 4.92 and did not find anything wrong. All the subdivisions built within the last 2 years near my home were on the maps. The road building/changes/expansions that are completed (one just completed less than a year ago) are there. A bunch of lakes/creeks/rivers, cemeteries, golf courses, etc. are now showing up.

I didn't expect this much to be up to date, so this was $99 well spent for me! EDIT: Actually, this was around $115, forgot about the tax and shipping. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
On another forum someone reported using the 4.92 maps only disc on an Acura 05 MDX (which was originally on a 4.13 version) without the firmware upgrade.

I am now wondering what are the changes in the new firmware and if it is really possible to skip the firmware upgrade completely (and not have to go to the Dark Side :))

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zsundevil said:
On another forum someone reported using the 4.92 maps only disc on an Acura 05 MDX (which was originally on a 4.13 version) without the firmware upgrade.
That sounds contradictory to what I've seen so far. But hey, I'll experiment for you tomorrow (and to satisfy my very own curiousity)! I'll revert back to the old 4.12 software and then try to go to 4.92 directly. If it does update, I wonder if everything really works as it is suppose to.

Do you mind linking to the other site that this was posted (or PM it to me). I would like to see what they did or did not do before I go through with this...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I reread the post again on fatwallet.com thread about this topic and looks like the poster had version 4.13D which is not included in the instruction step 6 above.

PM sent with some more details.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We just bought an '05 Touring with NAV. The original DVD is installed from late 2004, version 4.13 iirc.

Based on the discussions here I just purchased a seemingly legit 4.31c DVD inexpensively on Ebay in hopes of updating the firmware and then doing the $99 2011 update. My questions:

How do I find out which firmware version I have now and after the update, and what version numbers will allow me to use the $99 update disc? The setup menu leads me to "1.14.00 UMKA" as the software version - is this the same as the "firmware" version?

Assuming this works does it matter which year I choose for the $99 deal? I assume '06-'10 are probably all the same and what I need...

Are there any tricks to installing the 4.31c DVD/Firmware (I'm guessing it will be without instructions)?

Thanks,
Cam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can check the disc version by starting the engine (or turn the key to where the radio starts playing), reach under the driver's seat and push the button on the DVD drive (I think it is an orange lit button), and push the eject button after the door drops down. The DVD should slide out enough to pull it out. The version is written on top of the disc.

No tricks to installing the 4.31 disc. Just follow the above procedure to remove the current disc, insert the 4.31 disc, let it do the update, and done. When the 4.92 disc arrives, do the same thing...remove old disc, insert new disc, let it do the update, done!

You can check the software version by checking the System Information tab (hit Setup, then More on the top right, then Sys Info).

My software versions were:
Disc ver 4.12 --> 1.00.01.UMKA
Disc ver 4.31 --> 1.32.00
Disc ver 4.92 --> 2.01.01

I don't think you have to choose which year, as long as you get the $99 deal. If you change the year, it may give you the $185 price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My software versions were:
Disc ver 4.12 --> 1.00.01.UMKA
Disc ver 4.31 --> 1.32.00
Disc ver 4.92 --> 2.01.01

I don't think you have to choose which year, as long as you get the $99 deal. If you change the year, it may give you the $185 price. [/B]
Thanks for the response.

I guess this is where I'm a little confused, but I think it's making sense more now: your software (firmware) version appears to be updated from that of the 4.31 install (1.32.00 to 2.01.01) via the 4.92 DVD, even though we (2005s) supposedly have to update our firmware from a separate disc. It appears that the 4.92 single disc updates the firmware even further than 4.13 to 4.31, but only if you have 4.31 or greater. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I checked the disc in my van a few minutes ago and the version is 4.13D. The software version is 1.14.00.UMKA.

Maybe there is a typo by Honda in the instructions and they meant 4.13 (A, B, C, D) in the instruction step copied above by member BigWood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
swaayze said:
Thanks for the response.

I guess this is where I'm a little confused, but I think it's making sense more now: your software (firmware) version appears to be updated from that of the 4.31 install (1.32.00 to 2.01.01) via the 4.92 DVD, even though we (2005s) supposedly have to update our firmware from a separate disc. It appears that the 4.92 single disc updates the firmware even further than 4.13 to 4.31, but only if you have 4.31 or greater. Does that sound right?
Yes, the 4.92 will update the software even further than the 4.31 update. I'm guessing disc versions 4.20 and under require a huge change that could not fit onto a single DVD along with maps. The fix must have been to release a two disc update for 4.20 and under versions.

There must have been a space limitation that was hit a one point because they removed the male voice on one of the versions (I think around 4.6x).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
zsundevil said:
I checked the disc in my van a few minutes ago and the version is 4.13D. The software version is 1.14.00.UMKA.

Maybe there is a typo by Honda in the instructions and they meant 4.13 (A, B, C, D) in the instruction step copied above by member BigWood
Interesting, I just checked my disc packet and I quoted it correctly...it only lists "4.13 (A, B, C, 0)". When I typed it out, I wondered if the "0" was suppose to be a zero or the letter O. Could they have typed it incorrectly and it really should have been a "D"?

Edit: Picutres of the disc covers are in later posts.

About to start the version rollback to 4.12 and try to update directly to 4.92. Be back soon with the results...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, did the test as follows:

1) Removed the 4.92 disc, and inserted the 4.12 disc
2) Got the "incorrect disc" error. Did the 3-button-death-punch and forced a software download
3) Setup voice-command levels
4) Searched for my nav code for 15 minutes, found it, and entered
5) Verified version 4.12 loaded
6) Removed 4.12 disc, and inserted 4.92 disc
7) System did a software upgrade
8) No errors occurred, maps came up
9) Verified 4.92 software loaded
10) WTF????

Just proved that you can take a 4.12 directly to 4.92 with no updates in between! I have no clue what's going on. This brings up a lot of questions in my head.

1) Why is there a second disc supposedly required by Honda/Navteq if I can update directly to a newer version without it?
2) A theory: could this "software update" actually be something that forces the navigation hardware to check for a piracy deterrent? For example, the first 1-2 years of Nintendo Wii's can be hacked easily without fear of "bricking", but Nintendo found a way from year 2-present that closed that loophole. Can this "software update" really be a patch to close off piracy? I might just burn a backup copy of my 4.92 and try this out to verify, as supposedly 4.73-current versions backups don't work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts