Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2005 Ody now has 107,000 miles and so far it's been a great minivan. We've been taking to dealer for all work, and are always proactive...

Wife just got back from dealer after an oil change with a long list of things we need to get done.

Want to see if others think these are all critical...

Advice welcome.

1. New Water Pump
2. New Timing Belt
3. Flush Power Steering Fluid
4. BG Fuel INduction Service
5. Adjust valves?

Total came to more than $1800, and trying to figure out what I have to right now vs. can wait a little...

Planning on keeping for another 2-3 years.

Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Stick to items #1 and 2, the rest is kind of "garbage".

Search forum for DIY on timing belt.

But generally when you perform any work in that area, it is best to replace ALL of the following items at 100K miles:

1. Water Pump and seal

2. Timing Belt and its associated parts:
- Idler Pulley
- Tensioner Pulley

3. And lastly Cam and Crank seals to save labor later (this is optional but a good thing to do for any vehicles with more than 100K miles).

Very inexpensive if you DIY but expensive if the Dealer does it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,

we've been pretty faithful 'dealer' customers for the life of the vehicle, but now that our extended 100K warranty is up, what are your thoughts on going to a reputable and recommended repair shop (NOT the dealer), would they be cheaper for these types of repairs?

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Most work (all??) done at the dealer will be more expensive. As long as you can find a reputable / experienced mechanic, this work can be done for less. Search the phone book for mechanics that work on Hondas, they will be more familiar with "issues" unique to Honda vehicles and would know the solutions.

You should get an itemized quote from your dealer for each line item to see where they money is going and just pick the first two if you have to go there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also own a 2005 odyssey with 107K. I am waiting for the minder code "4" to show up since this is the official recommendation to do the spark plugs, water pump, timing belt.

Has your code 4 shown up yet? Just curious since these maintenance schedules are programmed into the ECU.

thanks,

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a guy who works for a Honda dealer do my stuff on the side. He said that the engine mounts on Odys go bad at about 80-90K. He showed me mine were gone with a test. Me in Ody KOEO, with foot hard on brake shift into D (drive) and give it some juice. Watch the mounts jump. R/R if indicated

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
We just had the "4" show up... ordered parts the other day and have a timing belt, tensioner (both the pully and the hydraulic tensioner), idler pully, water pump, and serpentine belt on the way. Also had the code for plugs come up too, so need to purchase a set of those as well...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Note on 5. Generally on these engines, the valves don't need to be adjusted until the engine starts making a ticking noise. My van has 130,000 miles on it and it is starting to tick. I think I was quoted $100 for a valve adjustment so I'll probably just have the dealer do it when I take it in for the brake fluid recall.

Personally, I would have the dealer do the timing belt over an independent shop. You can generally get a coupon for most dealers or they will take competitor coupons. I saved 15% with a coupon and they did the job for about the same as an independent shop ($75 hr).

Some indies are qualified and some aren't. I somehow always get the ones that aren't so I have converted back to the dealer. Since I can't do it, I'd rather have a guy that has done 50+ timing belts on my engine type than a guy that has only done a few.

You can do the spark plugs yourself and save a hundred there. I got them from Advanced Auto. 12.49 each x 6 = S74.94. Enter code A123 at checkout for $20 off $50 or more or $30 off $100 or more. Price drops to 54.94 for spark plugs ($9.15 each vs $12.49). Free shipping with 3 year warranty if defective.

Engine mounts ughh. I need the front one replaced on the van and two on our car. They are not cheap if you have the dealer do them. I will probably have an indie do those since the parts are way less expensive if you go non Honda brand. Hopefully they aren't any cheaper in quality.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Timing belt change should only be about $800 by the dealer, and the wtaer pump may or may not be included. Shop around for sure. You can suck out your power steering fluid and put in new fluid (search prior posts for help). These rest seems optional. If you ask a dealer what your car needs, you will always get a long list. $1800, seriously?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i know this is a little late to post but the added amount had to have been the valve inspection/adjustment, on an '03 it's a lot more than "i think $100";)

you do not want to be stuck with tight valves, either. tight valves can burn. and you can't hear them!

just get it done at the 105k service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts