Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 Ody, EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is a fresh post. I have a 2005 Odyssey EX-L (original owner). My front passenger window wont go up or down either from driver side or passenger side. When I press the master switch on driver side, I hear a clicking noise on the passenger side. All other windows work both from Master switch and their individual door switch. I am trying to troubleshoot the issue further. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Checked the fuse #4 (Passenger window fuse) - it is good
2. Checked the connectivity on the front passenger window switch with multimeter (I don't know the pins, but was able to get zero resistance in one combination of pins)

I am confused on the next steps. Some threads appear to indicate that it is due to a faulty master switch, the others imply that clicking means, power is being delivered to the regulator and it may be a faulty motor. I am assuming I have either faulty master switch or faulty motor. Can someone guide me what should I do next?

thanks all!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all,

This is a fresh post. I have a 2005 Odyssey EX-L (original owner). My front passenger window wont go up or down either from driver side or passenger side. When I press the master switch on driver side, I hear a clicking noise on the passenger side. All other windows work both from Master switch and their individual door switch. I am trying to troubleshoot the issue further. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Checked the fuse #4 (Passenger window fuse) - it is good
2. Checked the connectivity on the front passenger window switch with multimeter (I don't know the pins, but was able to get zero resistance in one combination of pins)

I am confused on the next steps. Some threads appear to indicate that it is due to a faulty master switch, the others imply that clicking means, power is being delivered to the regulator and it may be a faulty motor. I am assuming I have either faulty master switch or faulty motor. Can someone guide me what should I do next?

thanks all!
Since you have a clicking means your signal from the master is actuating a relay in the passenger control. You can listen when you are close to the door to see if the sound is coming from passenger control. You can test the motor by unplugging the passenger control and putting 12 Volts and ground on pins 1 and 2 of the cable. It can be a bad motor or a corroded connector on the motor.

·
Registered
05 Ody, EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks geotek, in order to test the motor, I would have to take off the trim panel right? I have seen plenty of videos where people use the cordless drill battery as a 12V source.

·
Registered
05 Ody, EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you have a clicking means your signal from the master is actuating a relay in the passenger control. You can listen when you are close to the door to see if the sound is coming from passenger control. You can test the motor by unplugging the passenger control and putting 12 Volts and ground on pins 1 and 2 of the cable. It can be a bad motor or a corroded connector on the motor.

I went back and listened to the clicking sound. It is coming from inside the door behind the passenger switch, very distinct clicking sound. How will I identify pins 1 and 2 on the motor side? Here are wiring colors on the switch side. Is there a way to tell the pin numbers based on the colors here. I am assuming that I should be able to match them 1 for 1 on the motor side behind the trim. Also, can I just plug in a 12V battery to the connector below and get the same effect without removing the trim, if I don't turn the car battery on.

IMG_8614.jpg
IMG_8615.jpg
IMG_8616.jpg

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went back and listened to the clicking sound. It is coming from inside the door behind the passenger switch, very distinct clicking sound. How will I identify pins 1 and 2 on the motor side? Here are wiring colors on the switch side. Is there a way to tell the pin numbers based on the colors here. I am assuming that I should be able to match them 1 for 1 on the motor side behind the trim. Also, can I just plug in a 12V battery to the connector below and get the same effect without removing the trim, if I don't turn the car battery on.

View attachment 161754 View attachment 161755 View attachment 161756
Sorry, my documents do not show your connector. I only have 2003 and 2013, which do not show your connector. If you had documents for a 2005 it would have the color code as well. What you can do to avoid taking the door apart, which is a little bit of work, is get a video inspection camera on Amazon. They are only $40 and USB connect to your phone. They are about 24" long and have a built in light. You can fish it in thru a hole in the door and see what color the wires are on the motor connector.
You do not want to just trial and error randomly pick pins on the connector. You may damage something else.
I don't know if a drill battery would have enough power to turn the motor. You can always use the accessory outlet. Just get an adapter.

·
Registered
406 Posts

View attachment 161754 View attachment 161755 View attachment 161756
Here is wiring diagram for passenger switch. I am ASSUMING this is what you are looking for. It TECHNICALLY appears that it is PIN 10 and pin 8 which would power the window motor... It looks like pin 10 and ground will bring window down and pin 8 and ground will bring the window up. (This would be my guess - don't take my word for it ).

Service manual does call to supply power directly to the window motor harness though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That said, looking back at the "motor testing" procedure, Perhaps + going to 10 and - going to 8 and vice versa may bring the motor up and down instead of actually using ground and 10 and ground and 8. unsure. :(

·
Registered
05 Ody, EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, my documents do not show your connector. I only have 2003 and 2013, which do not show your connector. If you had documents for a 2005 it would have the color code as well. What you can do to avoid taking the door apart, which is a little bit of work, is get a video inspection camera on Amazon. They are only $40 and USB connect to your phone. They are about 24" long and have a built in light. You can fish it in thru a hole in the door and see what color the wires are on the motor connector.
You do not want to just trial and error randomly pick pins on the connector. You may damage something else.
I don't know if a drill battery would have enough power to turn the motor. You can always use the accessory outlet. Just get an adapter.
That is a great point, i think the voltage requirement is not high but the amperage may not be enough.. I will look into the camera.

·
Registered
05 Ody, EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is wiring diagram for passenger switch. I am ASSUMING this is what you are looking for. It TECHNICALLY appears that it is PIN 10 and pin 8 which would power the window motor... It looks like pin 10 and ground will bring window down and pin 8 and ground will bring the window up. (This would be my guess - don't take my word for it ).

View attachment 161759
Service manual does call to supply power directly to the window motor harness though.
View attachment 161760

View attachment 161761
Thanks so much for the diagram. I think it will work. I don't think ground is needed is.. What I am thinking if it is just a simple dc circuit, with the battery in series?

·
Registered
05 Ody, EX-L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning, the passenger window started working on its own. Both from drivers side and the passenger side. So one thing is clear, the switches are probably ok. The motor bushings may be wearing out and going. I plan to get silicone lubricant and grease the guides on the A and B pillar. Or would you recommend replacing the motor assembly while the going is good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts