Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i have a problem and its a knocking sound which i thinkis perhaps a valve spring brocken in the front cylinder head( i confirmed this with a honda mechanic)who says hes seen this before at this mileage.Anybody hear or seen this?
What do you guys think i should do?I have to get a new head complete and replace and the mechanic says that there could be a slim chance that it may burn oil??
Any suggestions from anybody here??
Anybody have a complete head or a good motor?
Thank you
AV

·
Registered
506 Posts
What is the repair cost? How much longer do you intend to drive the thing?

At 210K miles or 338K km's you are definately pushing the outer limits of the usable lifespan of that vehicle.

Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cylinder head

Hi
I want to clear up its 210KM about 160miles and i am now leaning towards a used complete head from a wrecker as best as i can find that was taken from a good motor with bottom end damage.
Any opinions or suggestions??
Thanks
AV

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why not open the valve cover and look at it. If one of the springs is broken, you should be able to replace that spring. From what I remember you will need a special tool to compress it, but it will be lot more cheaper and less intrusive. I guess you have to make sure (by turning the crank) that the piston is in high position on this cylinder, so you don't drop the valve in it.

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
130K miles is not much for this car.

You took it to Honda?

I have a mechanic in the GTA that knows these cars inside and out if you are interested.

Gilman Auto in Scarborough.

And if your concerned about his credentials his NA K24 Prelude with a K20 head can keep up with my boosted Prelude no problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 02 has almost 400,000klms on the clock. It is running great and also has a knocking sound. Most obvious when cold and louder during the winter. It is a common problem with newer tech engines. The noise is caused by piston slap. It does not affect reliablity and will not cause any issues other than noise.

If you truely have a broken valve spring I would think that the valve would have been kissed by the piston before too long. Now that is a real problem. As stated earlier you need to pull the valve cover for a visual inspection if you believe the mechanic.

Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cylinder head

Hi All\
Yes the car is maintained /sericed by a very good friend who is a Honda certified mechanic and he also recently bought a 05 odyssey from the dealer with the same kind of problem and put a new head and all is well.
He says hes seen about 4/5 odys that have had this problem at about the same mileage and he thinks its a problem with this vehicle and now what i did was to get a good cylinder head from a wrecker with low mileage and once it gets here it will be swapped and hopefully solve the problem.I bought a complete assembled head which can be bolted on with no problem.
I got this for about $ 350.00 and the recycler says the vehicle had only 15k km on it so should be like new.....touch wood.
Keep everyone updated as it gets resolved.
Just to mention the knocking was quite bad like a mechanical digger, its quite noticible.
Thank you to all for their invaluable advice.
Wish me luck>>>>
Av

1 - 8 of 8 Posts