Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also here is some good info. Doing research on the factory 3rd gen EXL OEM tensioner if you look closely at the hydraulic end of the tensioner and the bearings the whole assembly is made by Ina. So I went on RockAuto and clicked on all of the tensioners listed and blew up the pictures to compare them to OEM. What I found is that the Continental 49439 has the same EXACT brand markings as OEM it has the same identical markings on the bearing and the hydraulic unit and the casting on the back of the tensioner has engraving inaf238248.02 exactly as a Honda oem branded unit but of course at a considerably less price. RockAuto shows it at 96.79 and 104.78 shipped to texas. I called my local Honda dealer they wanted $250. So for those looking to buy a OEM tensioner check out the Continental. I also looked at the gates and dayco and ACDelco and none of them have the same Ina brand markings as the Continental and Oem Honda. This is in reference to the honda Oem part number 31170-R70-A01 and Continental 49439.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Also here is some good info. Doing research on the factory 3rd gen EXL OEM tensioner if you look closely at the hydraulic end of the tensioner and the bearings the whole assembly is made by Ina. So I went on RockAuto and clicked on all of the tensioners listed and blew up the pictures to compare them to OEM. What I found is that the Continental 49439 has the same EXACT brand markings as OEM it has the same identical markings on the bearing and the hydraulic unit and the casting on the back of the tensioner has engraving inaf238248.02 exactly as a Honda oem branded unit but of course at a considerably less price. RockAuto shows it at 96.79 and 104.78 shipped to texas. I called my local Honda dealer they wanted $250. So for those looking to buy a OEM tensioner check out the Continental. I also looked at the gates and dayco and ACDelco and none of them have the same Ina brand markings as the Continental and Oem Honda. This is in reference to the honda Oem part number 31170-R70-A01 and Continental 49439.
Just FYI, what you may get in the box, may or may not look like pictures on Rock Auto site. I have been down this road too many times.
There is wording on Rock Auto, that warns you of that.
This isn't to sway your intent, just passing knowledge along.

·
Registered
34 Posts
True about tensioner made by ina. Found that on back of mine. Also it mentioned that it is made in Slovakia, so I sourced tensioner in Germany and bough it from there much cheaper.
I have done timing belt replacement, at that time I didnt know about this bolt issue. Luckily I installed old one back. Only top pulley had play in bearing.
So from new unit I just replaced pulley with bearing, not to play lottery with these bolt problems.

View attachment 144629

·
Registered
14 Posts
maxud i thought about that as well so i looked on other sites and they show the continental unit with the same markings as Oem. I noticed the Oem Honda box says made in Germany but the actual part has french made bearings and the casting says Slovakia on the back. My local parts store sells continental belts im going to call and see if they have the continental tensioner in stock and if so i will report back with my findings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No it was branded as INA.

Part number INA 534 0415 10

Price has gone up. I got it exactly year ago for 90 eur delivered. (102 USD approx.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
For any of you that have had to replace the AC bracket - did you have to evacuate the AC system, and remove the AC compressor, or were you able to just unbolt the compressor and work around it with the hoses attached?

Also, I was able to bench bleed the hydraulic shock using a large C-clamp. It was much easier than doing it when installed. That may help others.

Thanks
I just removed the bracket last night. No need to evacuate the ac system. I removed the alternator and unbolted the ac compressor. The gave enough movement to get to the 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the block.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am hoping someone will chime in here. i recently did a full aisin timing belt kit and upon reassembly i noticed the upper roller on the factory serpentine belt tensioner had some play in it however i did not have a new one so i just reinstalled the old one with a new continental belt. after reading through these threads i have found another members idea of changing the j35a7 tensioner to the j35a6 model a good one to eliminate this ridiculous broken bolt issue however we know that the main bolt on the j35a6 spring loaded model is smaller and would require the j35a6 a/c compressor bracket. So has anyone on the forum made this change?
I was thinking about doing it, but the bracket, tensioner and alternator are all different part numbers. So I am not sure if I am going to get another alternator just to try this..

101 - 108 of 108 Posts