Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought the 05 odyssey EXL with 120k miles when I take it back at home like 20 miles it drives okay , even I asked about it to previous owner does he experiance any vibration answer was none. I took the battery cable off for overnight and join that cable together then put it back to get rid of DVD player loading issue but in vain. Then the car was parked in garage for 10 days I did not drive it. after 10-15 days I started using this car and experiancing hesitiation, vibration around 35-50 mph even ECO is on and off its not linked to ECO. which I think is not mount issue check the trans oil seems perfect so its not torque converter issue ???? as I was told by seller that he dont have any vibration issue..... does the battery cables which are off overnight generate this issue ??? ECU reset ?? software issue ???
How to trouble shoot it ?? any suggestion and comments much appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
This sounds like the tranny torque converter fubar that has a recall on 2006+ vehicles but is also reported to be a problem by many on 05 models. Our 05 EX-L has this problem, tranny gets stuck in overdrive and any application of power between 30-50MPH causes a violent shudder until a downshift is forced or you get off the gas pedal. Started happening about a year ago. Roughly 86K miles on it now, so probably around 70K when wife first noticed this.

I've been meaning to take it to Aamco or similar to have the entire system flushed and filled with synthetic tranny fluid which some say can help somewhat. I'm sure not dropping $1500+ for a TC replacement on a vehicle I won't own for very much longer at this point.

Of course this is just my experience, YMMV and you might even have a different problem but it sure sounds like the tranny thing to me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yep, sounds like another torque converter failure. Welcome to the club. Honda still doesn't know how to make automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TORQUE CONVERTER!!! Try to find a reputable mechanic other than the Honda dealer. Honda will charge you $3000 whereas I paid $1153. So sad!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Any recourse on the seller (how about splitting cost?) since it was not divulged or did you just luck out and have it develop a week after owning it? If it happened on the drive home (not sure your wording is hard to follow) you have an issue with seller, but it can be 'buyer beware' in most cases, chalk up to experience. I have '06 72k and holding breath on this sort of thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Software update solved it for me. I bought a 2005 odyssey, at 95k miles early this year. Noticed a distinct shudder at 35 mph. Reading through this forum, I was 99% confident it is a bad tranny or TC. Took it to local honda dealer. Van needed a software update. And sure enough, after the update, the problem totally disappeared. The vehicle now runs as smooth as butter. It appears the issue is with the software controlling the shutter. They seemed to have nailed it down. The software update at the dealer cost me 40$. I'd say, get that done before taking any drastic measures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the shudder at 30-35mph on our 2006 EXL w/ 60k miles as well as a hard downshift around 15mph while braking downhill. I took it to the dealer for the software update, which they applied 2 updates free of charge. I believe the updates were covered under an 8 year, 95k mile warranty. The updates seemed to have fixed both issues as we have not experienced them in 3000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts