Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the owner of a 2000 LX, at 175,000 I'm having a slipping tranny when it's cold. I've cleaned the solenoid screens. The transmission is on it's last legs.

Up the road from my house is a 2005 EXL black with tan leather, sun roof, RES. 105,000 miles recent trade in from a dealer. A small repair/used car dealer that's been in business for 22 years is selling it. Timing belt, water pump etc has recently been done, also new tires. Has a few dings on one side. 1 owner. A brief look at carfax report in the window said no accidents. They want 11,950 for it.

Dealer says it a touring model, I beg to differ since it does not have navigation.

I love the color combination, heated seats, engine etc. Variable engine assuming gas mileage is better?

My concern is after reading all the tech bulletins that were posted on this year I'm feeling like I would be crazy to inherit these problems. Especially another transmission problem. I'm hoping to get the vin number tomorrow and find the original owner. Maybe he/she will talk to me and tell me about the vehicle and see if there are any other service reports.

Will Honda repair anything free that's on a tech bulletin with a vehicle with 105,000 miles on it?

I hope to test drive it in the next few days.

Talk me in or out of this, please.

Andy

·
Registered
786 Posts
Navigation did not become standard on the Touring until 2008. Non-Nav models are rare, but they do exist. In 2005 and 2006, there were basic Tourings and Tourings with Navigation and RES. In 2007, the Tourings got RES standard, but were still sold with navigation as only an option. If they are correct and it is a Touring, you will have to deal with the PAX system. If you can find the VIN and enter it into OwnerLink, you can know for sure. But there are many other ways to tell the model. If it doesn't have fog lights, or sensors in the bumper, or chrome garnish on the tailgate. It is most likely not a Touring. Tourings were also sold with a badge that said "Touring" under the word "Odyssey" on the back liftgate. Many of these features were relatively easy to add, so one of the best exterior indicators are the front parking sensors on either front corner of the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Navigation did not become standard on the Touring until 2008. Non-Nav models are rare, but they do exist. In 2005 and 2006, there were basic Tourings and Tourings with Navigation and RES. In 2007, the Tourings got RES standard, but were still sold with navigation as only an option.
You have your years off by 1. I believe both NAV and RES were options in 2005 Tourings. 2006 made the RES standard and NAV was still an option and from 2007 NAV and RES were standard in Tourings if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mechanically?

I'll get the vin# today or tomorrow. So what about all those tech bulletins for this year? I can do a lot of work myself. Should I stay away from it?

What's up with the PAX system is it really not so peaceful :)

Andy

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Andy, you need to start reading up as a LOT of information for the 2005, its flaws, problems, concerns etc has been hashed out and then some. PAX is a big no-no that too you can search on here and read up or read the stickies for dePaxing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You have your years off by 1. I believe both NAV and RES were options in 2005 Tourings. 2006 made the RES standard and NAV was still an option and from 2007 NAV and RES were standard in Tourings if I am not mistaken.
I will have to look, back in 06 I was livid over the PAX issue and literally started signing papers on a Touring without NAV, because the dealer assured me that it was an EXL since they thought non-nav Tourings didn't exist. (Its amazing what they can overlook sometimes) If I hadn't gone out and checked, I would have a depaxed Touring today. If I could do it again I would get the Touring with nav and then later depax it. Its too bad it was before the depax concept had been established. It was also because I was planning on getting the non-nav Touring, and I thought RES, that I didn't get the EXL Nav & RES. As you can probably tell I'm still a little angry at Honda for PAX because of this. One of these days I'm going to buy a wrecked 08+ Touring and do a full conversion. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
I will have to look, back in 06 I was livid over the PAX issue and literally started signing papers on a Touring without NAV, because the dealer assured me that it was an EXL since they thought non-nav Tourings didn't exist. (Its amazing what they can overlook sometimes) If I hadn't gone out and checked, I would have a depaxed Touring today.

I think you are right. I am the one that's mistaken by a model year.

I believe both RES and NAV were optional earlier and in 2007 for Tourings, the RES became standard and the NAV was optional. In 2008, Tourings became R&N standard.

I swear I never got a single quote of a Touring without NAV when I looked for and purchased our 2007. So, just like the dealer, I too assumed that the Tourings never came without the NAV system.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pax

Am I dinosaur at 47? It seems PAX refers to the tire pressure monitoring system installed? When i look at the van tomorrow is there a way to tell?

Andy

·
Registered
419 Posts
Am I dinosaur at 47? It seems PAX refers to the tire pressure monitoring system installed? When i look at the van tomorrow is there a way to tell?

Andy
PAX=not the same as TPMS.

IF rims on the van look just like these.. then they are PAX

P

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vin #

Thanks for the info on pax. I juts got the vin # and will look it up.

So how do you think a price of 12,950 is? 105,000 one owner.
Timing belt, water pump, pulleys etc were done. some scruffs and a few minor dings on passenger side.

If I continue I will make sure everything else works and take it for a test drive on Monday.

Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have test drove the 05.
They have it listed as a Touring Model but it is not one. Dealer has said it was supposedly. It is a EXL, no pax.

The van drove great, nice and straight, no shimmy, quite, stopped well (even though I think the brakes could use some bleeding)
Seems all service records are there.
Power steering pump was replaced at 93,000
Timing belt, water pump etc at 105,000
Impact sensors in bumpers replaced at 93,000.
Rotors were all resurfaced and pads changed at 93,000

Some scuffs and light dent on right side
Floor mats are stained
Right side mirror won't adjust side to side
Haven't tried DVD player yet. Has three wireless headsets.

As far as the the engine goes, I noticed anytime the Eco light came on I could feel a little feeling of it kicking on. I'm assuming this is normal for the VCM engine.

They want $12,450. I know it was traded into the dealer at $8,200. The used car dealer/independent shop put the timing belt, water pump etc on.

Also what is VSA?

Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
The best way to tell if it is a Touring is the power pedals. If the gas and brake pedals don't move, it is not a Touring. You can "de-pax" a Touring, you can add parking sensors to a non-Touring but removing or adding power pedals is a bit much.

Ask if the valve adjustment was done with the timing belt. My brother works for Honda (he runs the dealership's shop) and warned me about making sure to do that.

You need to watch out for the motor mounts, they are electronic and expensive to replace. Check for leaking fluids, look under the van for things that look out of place. Also, easy things to check are things like DVD players and CD changers, lighting (interior and exterior). Little things can tell you how well the van was truly cared for.

VSA is the vehicle stability.

Overall, Hondas are awesome vehicles. The hold up well and hold value well. They really will run forever if you do the basics (this Odyssey is my third Honda).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Per the Owner manual on VSA;

"The Vehicle Stability Assist system helps to stabilize the vehicle during
cornering if the vehicle turns more or less than desired. It also assists
you in maintaining traction while accelerating on loose or slippery
road surfaces. It does this by regulating the engine’s output, and
by selectively applying the brakes.

When VSA activates, you may notice that the engine does not respond to
the accelerator in the same way it does at other times.
The VSA system cannot enhance the vehicle’s driving stability in all
situations and does not control your vehicle’s entire braking system. It is
still your responsibility to drive and corner at reasonable speeds and to
leave a sufficient margin of safety."

I would go for it, but would negotiate a lower price since you know how much they marked it up since the trade. Figure how much for all the services completed after the trade add for profit and give them that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help and info. I offered him a price of $9,750 today and he said he'd need a little more than that, I think my top dollar will be $10,500. We both said we'd sleep on it tonight. Seems he'll really work with me on the price.

A few more questions.

Is it typical of the iVTEC engine to feel a slight change when the eco mode kicks on and off? It's very slight and I'm hypertensive :) I really like the theory behind the cylinder management and getting better gas mileage. Hopefully it really works.

Will my 2000 Odyssey trailer hitch fit on the 2005? I think it's a midas hitch. I rarely ever trailer my motorcycle, maybe once every other year.

Will my snows from the 2000 fit on the 2005? I know the rims won't.

Anyone recommend and extended warranty program? We had talked about it before and including it in the price. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Andy

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Snows from the 2000 will not fit the 2005, this was the first year Honda changed the bolt pattern spacing. Also, the hitch will not fit.

You will feel a slight difference when the eco light comes on (actually when the engine switches over, may not be the same time you see the eco light) Also, you will hear a short noise the first time the vehicle starts from a start, this is normal and is related to the braking (or the VSA)

The other differences with Touring is the power lift gate and the factory fog lights, if these are not there, then it is a EX-L (assuming that you made sure that there was leather and a sunroof)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had an '04 that I traded for an '08. The Hitch from the '04 fit the '08 just fine. The hitch is now on my '10. I don't know about a 2000 and 2004 (Same GEN) difference, but 04 to 05-10 should fit fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We agreed on a price of $10,600 and I bought it, picking it up on Tuesday. I think I did well.
I may get an extended warranty, I did get a thirty warranty. His insurance salesman could sell me one ofr $700 for a 5 year plan.

Thoughts on extended warranties please!

Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been enjoying the van and getting to know it better. However I am now noticing the shudder at around 30mph when the van is warmed up. Doesn't happen all the time. I have a 30 day warranty from the small car dealer I bought it from who had gotten it on an online Honda dealer auction. I'm not looking forward to taking it back to him but he said the transmission was fine as it seems to be most of the time. I'm in NYS any recommendations?

Andy

·
Registered
288 Posts
I may get an extended warranty, I did get a thirty warranty. His insurance salesman could sell me one ofr $700 for a 5 year plan.
Thoughts on extended warranties please!
Andy
Check out the "Warranty Talk" Section under Ownership elsewhere in the forum. It may be tough to get a good one with the mileage on your vehicle, but try your local AAA or an insurance agent first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts