Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bought a 3-ton floor jack, breker bar, sockets, etc. to change to winter tires on my CR-V and Ody.

CR-V was pretty easy. I used midpoints on the axle.

I am unable to figure out jack points for the Ody :-(. Googled got some diagrams and still unable to figure out. I am a newbie in these matters. Would appreciate some photos of the jack points.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nirvana

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Re: Re: Jack Points

nirvana_1959 said:
Thanks DJ. Have the diagram and am still unable to figure out where to place the jack. Actual photo would be nice.
You're going to have to bend over and take a look. The lift points are reinforced and pretty obvious but you gotta bend over and take a peek. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If someone can post photos of the bottom of the van with jack points would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Jack Points

dvpatel said:
You're going to have to bend over and take a look. The lift points are reinforced and pretty obvious but you gotta bend over and take a peek. :)
I did. That's how I guessed jack points on the CR-V. Unable to figure out in the Ody however :-(.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Jack Points

nirvana_1959 said:
I did. That's how I guessed jack points on the CR-V. Unable to figure out in the Ody however :-(.
That's interesting, I bent down to look at the underside of the front of my 08 and the tow hook is staring right at me. I didn't check the back because it's backed up to my garage door. Of course the side ones are easily visible.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
nirvana_1959 said:
If someone can post photos of the bottom of the van with jack points would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I already posted pic of the jacking point in thread #3 above! You CANNOT miss it seriously.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
nirvana_1959 said:
Wish I had seen your post before trading my $25 jack for a $75 jack (the former couldn't raise my CR-V to get tire off the ground). Excellent idea with the hockey puck.
Hi nirvana,

Honda CR-V has higher ground clearance than Honda Odyssey.

Honda CR-V, being an SUV, normally is 11-12" from the ground (jack-point-to-ground measurement).

The $25 Floor Jack mentioned above has a maximal reach of approx. 15" and can easily raise the Odyssey for tire change but the CR-V is another issue.

Of course you can trade it to the more expensive $75 floor jack to reach higher for the CR-V. But what I have done for SUV with high ground clearance for years and work just fine using $25 floor jack using either #1 or #2 below:

#1. I have wood ramp used for oil change (search forum and you will see what wood ramp looks like). I place floor jack on top of the wood ramp and I instantly gain 4.5" (3 layers of 2x10 wood).

or...

#2. Use a 4x4 piece of wood ("treated lumber" is stronger than standard lumber), which you can get at hardware store for a few dollars and place this block of wood on top of the floor jack. See attached picture.

Of course, for safety reasons, never never crawl underneath of any vehicles supported solely by the floor jack, you need jack stand.
But for the purpose of changing tires on a CR-V, this 4x4 block of wood works just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks CNN for your elaborate answer.

Question on the jackpoint picture: Is the point on the edge (rocker panel) ?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cnn said:
Have you ever changed a tire before, just curious?

As long as you place the floor jack centered on the rocker panel's jack point, you will be fine. See pic:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=567167
Used to pay $36+taxes on each vehicle to change tires twice a year to get winter tires on and off. Not to mention the wait time at the dealership. Approaching retirement. Thought I will pick some "skills" that will help me pass time as well as save me some money. Answer to your question is "No". Have been a AAA guy all my life :-(.

Thanks for your help.

BTW where is the jack point to get both the front wheels off the ground ?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Make sure you buy yourself a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts after a change, to reduce the risk of warped rotors...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts