Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2005 Odyssey Power Sliding Door won’t unlock

1037 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  WiiMaster
Currently, my driver’s side power sliding door won’t unlock. The latch shows it is unlocked, but when I try to open the door, it won’t engage and feels as though it is still locked. Almost as if the unlock latch is not working. It had a period of time where it would get stuck and not unlock with the power lock buttons, and I would have to manually unlock it. Now, even if I manually unlock it, the door still won’t open. I’ve checked the sensor on the gas door and it is working fine. The problem seems to be with the lock/unlock not engaging the way it’s supposed to. Any thoughts on how I could repair this?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,179 Posts
Does it engage when you close the fuel door?

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Currently, my driver’s side power sliding door won’t unlock. The latch shows it is unlocked, but when I try to open the door, it won’t engage and feels as though it is still locked. Almost as if the unlock latch is not working. It had a period of time where it would get stuck and not unlock with the power lock buttons, and I would have to manually unlock it. Now, even if I manually unlock it, the door still won’t open. I’ve checked the sensor on the gas door and it is working fine. The problem seems to be with the lock/unlock not engaging the way it’s supposed to. Any thoughts on how I could repair this?
When was the last time you replaced the Mid-roller?
Did you even try to pull the door open?

I know you stated that the door won't unlock, but that is what you think. It is possible that the door did unlock, but it is stuck because the now worn-down Mid-roller and possibly without the plastic roller, is digging in and stops the door from opening.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When was the last time you replaced the Mid-roller?
Did you even try to pull the door open?

I know you stated that the door won't unlock, but that is what you think. It is possible that the door did unlock, but it is stuck because the now worn-down Mid-roller and possibly without the plastic roller, is digging in and stops the door from opening.
I mean the door won’t open at all. It’s literally stuck. When I pull on the handle, there’s very little tension. Almost as if it is locked (even though the lock latch is in the “unlock” position). I bought two new rollers to install in both doors, but I literally can’t get this door open. Not even a little bit.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Ok, I see. You do have the radio code and NAV code for your van right?

Let's unlock all the doors then disconnect your battery. Now, try to manhandle and slide your stuck door open from the inside.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I see. You do have the radio code and NAV code for your van right?

Let's unlock all the doors then disconnect your battery. Now, try to manhandle and slide your stuck door open.
Yes and yes. I actually already tried resetting the doors. Still doesn’t work. As I mentioned before, the lock latch had been getting stuck for a while. As in, I would unlock the van with the key remote, and all the locks would unlock except for this door. Then I would have to manually unlock this door. Now, it seems even when I manually unlock it, it won’t unlock. The lock latch doesn’t pop back into lock position like when the gas door sensor isn’t working. It stays in the unlock position. The door just doesn’t seem to actually unlock.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Sounds like you will have to pop the door panel. Usually, the sliding door has to be in an open position to pop the inside panel, but you don't have that option now. You will have to manage to get it open from a closed position. I only heard of 1 case where a guy on this board was able to get that task done. Watch some youtube clips first and see how the panel is removed under normal circumstance.

You will have at least to remove the door handle first. Use the t-shirt trick to dislodge the tension pin.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you will have to pop the door panel. Usually, the sliding door has to be in an open position to pop the inside panel, but you don't have that option now. You will have to manage to get it open from a closed position. I only heard of 1 case where a guy on this board was able to get that task done. Watch some youtube clips first and see how the panel is removed under normal circumstance.

You will have at least to remove the door handle first. Use the t-shirt trick to dislodge the tension pin.
Okay, I appreciate it. I’ll see if I can figure it out.

· Registered
3,179 Posts
Try this- grip the back end of the door by the gap for the center roller with your left hand, right hand on the handle. Pull the back of the door out with your left hand as you open the door with the right hand. If it's unlocked, helping the door pull out and around the track may get it open.

edit- oops! I got my lefts and rights mixed up for the driver side door! o_O You got it, put the proper hand on the back end by the center track, and the other on the door handle.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try this- grip the back end of the door by the gap for the center roller with your left hand, right hand on the handle. Pull the back of the door out with your left hand as you open the door with the right hand. If it's unlocked, helping the door pull out and around the track may get it open.
I’ll give that a try too. I appreciate the help.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
If the handle doesn't feel like it has tension, it's not unlocked.

For comparison, lock the doors and check the other side. It should be a lot easier to pull the handle when the door is locked compared to when it's unlocked.

I suspect something has gone wrong with the unlocking mechanism that you won't be able to get to without removing the door panel.

Reactions: thscott
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.