Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Odyssey Touring Ed. right at 90k miles. Excellent condition. Never any problem - always serviced by Honda. A few weeks ago I noticed a strange vibration when starting off and especially when going in and out of Econ mode. Much more noticeable when A/C is on. Not just vibration, even exhaust sounds a little louder. Took it to Honda dealer and after looking at it, they said 2 motor mounts were bad - the front hydraulic one and another. They replaced them at cost of $1152. Got van back and it seems exactly the same to me. I have already been back once to put them on notice. My dad says I am an idiot for falling for the motor mount scam. I want to take it somewhere else to find out what is really wrong before going back to dealer and asking for my money back. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad to see this post because my 2005 EXL has been doing the same thing for almost a year. When I took it in for a service and I mentioned it, they told me after looking it was a cracked rear motor mount and was going to cost $667 to fix it. I haven't had it fixed yet but I will be in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this issue since it seems to be a regular issue. I gave my local Honda dealer one more shot. They found that the remaining motor mount was bad as well and offered to replace it at no charge. I was pleasantly surprised that this was the fix. So to sum it all up - 3 bad motor mounts caused the whole issue. I really was thinking it was some sort of an electrical issue. Van drives perfectly now and I am planning on putting another 90k miles on it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
About what speed was this happening? I have the same issue on my 2005 T at about 40-50 on very light acceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thehon said:
About what speed was this happening? I have the same issue on my 2005 T at about 40-50 on very light acceleration.
That's when mind would do it and every now and then going down the highway at 55-60.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a vibration when slowly accelerating, between 35-40, 45-50, and when ever switching to ECO mode. I could not only fell this vibration in the steering wheel, but in the brake pedal (while at a stop), and in my seat. The exhaust also sounded louder.

·
Registered
230 Posts
dborden702 said:
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this issue since it seems to be a regular issue. I gave my local Honda dealer one more shot. They found that the remaining motor mount was bad as well and offered to replace it at no charge. I was pleasantly surprised that this was the fix. So to sum it all up - 3 bad motor mounts caused the whole issue. I really was thinking it was some sort of an electrical issue. Van drives perfectly now and I am planning on putting another 90k miles on it!
Were the first 2 motor mounts roughly $750 and $300? If so, I must say that the dealer can't be that bad if they replaced the 3rd engine mount for free.

My dealer wanted to charge me close about $1700 for all 3 mounts before I called American Honda and was told the 3 motor mounts are covered under the drive train warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct - the first 2 were $1158. One was the active motor mount. I think the last one they replaced was the rear one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same kind of issue with my '03 EX-L RES. I've had it in to the dealer twice about the vibration/shudder, checked suspension and balanced wheels (twice now). I know our roads are bad, but it's consistent between about 45 and 60 mph - at 70 on the interstate it's pretty smooth. The other thing I've noticed is that if I drop from D down to D3 so the engine is pulling higher RPMs, the vibration smooths out - which makes me think that the hydraulic motor mounts may be bad. I read somewhere online that some of the mounts have an electronic control for the damping, so wondered if at the higher RPM it switches to a mode that has better control? Any advice you all can share would be great - I only have 165k on this baby, and not ready to give her up just yet! BTW, the dealer did tell me when I had the timing belt & water pump replaced about 6 mos ago that two of the mounts were worn and needed replaced...just couldn't afford to drop another grand on top of the timing belt & water pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my 2005 touring into the dealer. They updated the transmission software and the issue went away completely. Thay said the engine mounts were fine. $100 later and problem solved. I have put over 1000k miles on it and no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts