Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the timing belt and drive belt for the second time in my 2005 Odyssey.

I forgot to apply oil to the drive belt tensioner bolt :oops:. See attached picture. What's the risk ? Do I have to take it apart to fix this ? Advice please...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I would. It will take no longer than 30min

Reactions: nirvana_1959

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the response.

How big a deal is this ? What will happen if I skip this ?
Many people reported snapped bolt, some reported several bolts broke, but no one can figure out for sure why it kept happening. Either lack of lube, or improper bleeding/pumping of tensioner.
Bolt should be lubed, torqued, then tensioner must be pumped 5-6 times all the way, before belt is installed. That's from repair manual.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many people reported snapped bolt, some reported several bolts broke, but no one can figure out for sure why it kept happening. Either lack of lube, or improper bleeding/pumping of tensioner.
Bolt should be lubed, torqued, then tensioner must be pumped 5-6 times all the way, before belt is installed. That's from repair manual.
Thanks! I am convinced now!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks! I am convinced now!
Get new bolt, if possible. Shouldn't be too expensive.. That tensioner is tricky - bolt doesn't break right away, usually after a week or two after improper installation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get new bolt, if possible. Shouldn't be too expensive.. That tensioner is tricky - bolt doesn't break right away, usually after a week or two after improper installation.
Honda doesn't sell bolt separately. I have to buy the tensioner assembly. I can buy it from a hardware store or AmazonTensioner Bolt. Any suggestion ?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Honda doesn't sell bolt separately. I have to buy the tensioner assembly. I can buy it from a hardware store or AmazonTensioner Bolt. Any suggestion ?
Right, I forgot that bolt comes with tensioner only.. Not sure how good Amazon bolt is. Try this thread, folks were able to find bolt somewhere other than Amazon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Odyssey Owner! I went through all the posts and then some. Now I am thinking of getting new OEM tensioner for peace of mind :).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You're fine.

People break the tensioner because they yank on it instead of easing on it.
Hi Ranger! How are you? What's going on in Miami? Some craziness I heard..
Back to the bolts, somehow tensioner bolt breaks off a week or two after improper installation..
To be honest, even with my engineering degree, which included mechanics of materials course, I still don't understand why this particular bolt breaks in half.. I purposely went to u-pull yard, and abused a few tensioners as hard as I could, broke off couple hexes, and that was it. Didn't break any bolts. Bolts didn't show any damage whatsoever. It should take a lot more force to break in half 12mm bolt. I think improper bleeding/pumping is the cause of breakage, more than anything else, but I can't prove it without conducting some experiments, which I can't do on my own Ody, because I have J35A6 engine in it, the one with spring loaded tensioner ( lucky me ) 😉 ))

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're fine.

People break the tensioner because they yank on it instead of easing on it.
Thanks MrRangerZr1 (for this response and all your awesome videos)!

I still have to oil the bolt (take it apart, oil the bolt and put them back together). Correct ?

I am sure the bolt hole will have some oil remaining from my first installation. I am not sure if this will be enough though.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Hi Ranger! How are you? What's going on in Miami? Some craziness I heard..
Back to the bolts, somehow tensioner bolt breaks off a week or two after improper installation..
To be honest, even with my engineering degree, which included mechanics of materials course, I still don't understand why this particular bolt breaks in half.. I purposely went to u-pull yard, and abused a few tensioners as hard as I could, broke off couple hexes, and that was it. Didn't break any bolts. Bolts didn't show any damage whatsoever. It should take a lot more force to break in half 12mm bolt. I think improper bleeding/pumping is the cause of breakage, more than anything else, but I can't prove it without conducting some experiments, which I can't do on my own Ody, because I have J35A6 engine in it, the one with spring loaded tensioner ( lucky me ) 😉 ))
I'm fine brother whats up

I never had one break on me.
Improper use/install causes it to break.
A6 tensioners FTW lol cheaper and easier

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Thanks MrRangerZr1 (for this response and all your awesome videos)!

I still have to oil the bolt (take it apart, oil the bolt and put them back together). Correct ?

I am sure the bolt hole will have some oil remaining from my first installation. I am not sure if this will be enough though.
You don't need to TBH. If it makes you sleep better, do it. I would lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally I got to do this. While doing it I observed little bit of oil in the rubber boot (see image). How critical is this ? It has around 95K miles. I had replaced it around 95K miles (in my first TB change project). I am thinking of replacing it. How much time I have for the replacement ? What are the symptoms that tells me "don't drive any further until this problem is fixed".

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more thing. Van wouldn't start. Hear clicking but engine doesn't turn over. I am thinking the battery is caput (even though my trickle charger thinks it is fully charged).

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Clicking with a charged battery could mean an issue with the starter. Try banging the starter to see if it engages.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,647 Posts
If you just hear a single click and then nothing, I agree with kernel, but if you hear a rapid clicking, it's more likely to be the battery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts