Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few post and articles already... looking for more definite answer before I take it to the shop.

What I have done so far: Check battery voltage (12.95) was good, All lights and doors working, tried starting it in Nuetral (nothing), check the connectors to the solenoid & starter (tight fit, no corrosion).

Car failed to fire a few days prior to yesterday, we live in California, but started up after a few tries. Today nothing. The exterior lights (driving and rear) do not blink/flicker/dim when trying to start the car, ONLY a few interior lighting display and window door light display flicker when trying to start engine.

SO is it the ignition switch, solenoid, or starter? I can handle replacing the Starter & Solenoid but how difficult is the ignition switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what tools needed to take off the starter? (size bolt) thanks

and has anyone tried using a screw driver to bypass the the starter?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI- Thanks

found this post by univmichwolv

"The removal process wasn't too bad, though it was a [email protected] to do it at the mall parking lot... Location is on the driver's side of the block. Access requires removal of the following, in this order: (i) -ve battery cable (10mm); (ii) +ve battery cable (10mm with extension); (iii) battery and battery box, after unclipping two sets of wires on front and side of battery box; and, finally, (iv) battery bench. The bench is the biggest pain, as two of the four 12mm bolts require removal of the complete airbox (4 Philips screws and a 10mm bolt) for access. FWIW, I tried to access the bolts without the airbox removal and it was simply a wasted hour... After this area is de-cluttered, the starter assembly is a simple process, with two wires to de-attach -- one is a simple pull and the other a 12mm ratchet -- and two 17mm bolts holding the assembly to the block."

·
Registered
22 Posts
One thing you aren't mentioning is what is happening when you turn the key? just a click? no click? fwiw I'd pretty much assume it is just a starter issue. How many miles on the van?(lots of start's - city type driving?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nothing ... no clicking (like when the battery is low) ... Inside the engine bay I hear clicking .. maybe a hum or buzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1:45 minute job ... that battery tray is the worst design piece of junk ever. The lower battery tray screw,furthest away, that bolted to the frame, was the worst. Other than that it was pretty smooth.

Car started fine after I changed out starter unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At first I thought you meant one minute forty five second job - I thought you had a future in Nascar!

But under 2 hours is pretty dang good I'd suspect (having never worked on this car).

Glad you are back up and running!!!:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts