Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Odyssey Touring that my parents gave me in September when I went back to university. (20 year-old with a minivan isn't exactly the coolest thing, I know) Today I went out to go to class, got in the van and it wouldn't turn over? It dies a lot because the battery is bad but usually when it's dead it cranks a little bit and the lights don't come on.. today, the lights came on everything lit up but not even a click from the engine. I even tried boosting it, but still nothing.. It wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, the check engine light was on but that's been on forever... Have any of you guys had this problem? If so, what was it any how much was the repair?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple years ago and it turned out to be a bad starter. Sometimes they respond by hitting them a couple times with a hammer (seriously). It was covered under warranty, but the going rate was about $250-300 iirc. I would also check your battery terminals, one of mine had a lot of corrosion - i think it was the positive one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called CAA to come tow it and he tried hitting the starter... nothing, they hauled it away on a flatbed.. I think the closest Honda dealer was going to look at it today and call me.. I'm hoping it's nothing major because if it's major, it's not being fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honda just called me and it wasn't the starter, there's something up with the shifter and it doesn't recognize it's in park when you go to start it. They told me I have to start it in neutral or replace some part, I'm not going to fix it, I'll start it in neutral from now on and save a couple of bucks. They also took the liberty of changing the oil, which didn't really need changing because the van is constantly burning oil and having it topped off every 1000 miles. I suppose a new filter was a good idea and a complete change might help it.. I can pick it up later tonight if my roommate will give me a drive to the dealer!!!! Quickest turnaround I've had at a dealer, usually if it goes in it's in for a while :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts