Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ody with an intermittent leak. Thought it was valve cover gaskets so had those replaced, leak continued so replaced oil sending unit. Still leaked so took it to the shop and they thought maybe it was old oil dripping since there was so much under the engine and they did not see a leak and fluid levels were fine. After cleaning it still leaks. Does not seem to leak while running and seems to either drops leak right after starting or right after turning off. Sometimes the leak has a dollop of green fluid in it. Attached picture shows main leak and some droplets toward the rear. Also has a burning smell after engine is hot like fluid is hitting something hot. Oil level does not seem to drop but I have had to top off power steering fluid a couple of times in the past few months but no major issue with fluid levels. The only thing I can think of that may be factor (or not) is when the valve cover gaskets were done I read that there was a top seal on the motor cover? If so, I dont think they replaced it. This is an EXL (non touring).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Come across your post. Check cylinder head. I had one bolt got thread out and cause the leaking. Used time insert fixed it. the gasket can go bad and leak engine oil and coolant. If it got into the cylinder, you will find the steam from the exhaust extremely white, if the engine oil got into the cylinder, you will find the grey smoke. Good luck on that. You can replace your timing belt in the same time and reduce the overall cost. I fixed myself. Took long time to determine where is the problem. You can find it out till you start to tear everything down. It was the first time I opened a cylinder. To my surprise it can start immediately when I have my fingers crossed when I finished the project. No more leaking. 05 Odyssey, I have accompanied with her too many day and night. A problematic van. Somehow still in love. Now it is my "self-driving" Odyssey.

·
Registered
642 Posts
OP. You said you have to "add" power steering fluid.(n) Other fluids look fine. Seems, you have found the source of your
leak! :) Power steering fluid. Follow the power steering hoses. Good luck.:)

The "green", may be a secondary issue. Leaking radiator fluid. ie. radiator/water pump seal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come across your post. Check cylinder head. I had one bolt got thread out and cause the leaking. Used time insert fixed it. the gasket can go bad and leak engine oil and coolant. If it got into the cylinder, you will find the steam from the exhaust extremely white, if the engine oil got into the cylinder, you will find the grey smoke. Good luck on that. You can replace your timing belt in the same time and reduce the overall cost. I fixed myself. Took long time to determine where is the problem. You can find it out till you start to tear everything down. It was the first time I opened a cylinder. To my surprise it can start immediately when I have my fingers crossed when I finished the project. No more leaking. 05 Odyssey, I have accompanied with her too many day and night. A problematic van. Somehow still in love. Now it is my "self-driving" Odyssey.
Thank you for the reply. There is no smoke issue that I have noticed. If it is a bolt issue what do you mean by used time insert fixed it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP. You said you have to "add" power steering fluid.(n) Other fluids look fine. Seems, you have found the source of your
leak! :) Power steering fluid. Follow the power steering hoses. Good luck.:)

The "green", may be a secondary issue. Leaking radiator fluid. ie. radiator/water pump seal.
I had a shop look at all the power steering lines and no leak found and steering fluid levels have not gone down again as this leak continues. So I do think the fluid is oil with anti freeze in it. Had the coolant checked and no leak there...

·
Registered
642 Posts
OK. Just confusing, since your original post said you had to add power steering fluid. Now you are saying, you do not have too.

If you had oil mixed with antifreeze,"in the engine", you would not "see" the "green" color separate from the oil ....on your pavement/cardboard.

Previous, poster, is talking about a "blown head casket", IMHO, that is not your problem.

Your original post, mentioned, your mechanic, said there is so much oil under there, ???

I think, your best bet. "Clean", and then Clean some more. Then, get down and dirty, with flashlight, and poke around,
and find the "wet" "shiny" spot, or trail. Get under the van, and look straight up, from where it is dripping. And look for
a trail.......Good luck......

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I don't know but to me it looks way too greenish to be power steering fluid.
Way too greenish? Any amount of green means it's not power steering fluid.

Of course, the OP never said the green fluid was power steering fluid. He said that there was sometimes a "green dollop" in the leak and also that he "had to top off power steering fluid".

Just 2 separate items in his list of symptoms.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
The only thing I can think of that may be factor (or not) is when the valve cover gaskets were done I read that there was a top seal on the motor cover?
I think you are referring to the spark plug tube oil seals. Those should be replaced whenever the valve cover gasket is replaced, just because it's apart anyway.

Agree with the others, clean everything up and do some sleuthing to identify the source of the leak. You have already spent way too much following hunches.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aaagghhh, it's the green eyed floor monster 😁. Ok, so my unprofessional guess would be two separate leaks going on but dripping from the same bolt or whatever is lowest on the van in the vacinity of the leaks. It looks like oil and coolant to me. I've never had to chase leaks like that but meybe you can pick up one of those cheap endoscopes on Amazon and start poking around the engine block looking closely around bolts and hose connections.

·
Registered
320 Posts
OEM Honda power steering fluid is clear and becomes amber colored from use and heat cycles. As part of your investigative process tear off a sheet of paper towel and dab each of van's fluids onto it (engine oil, power steering fluid, coolant, ATF, etc.). Compare those fluids with those on your floor for a visual match. Then start tracing down the origins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts