Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Honda odyssey touring, 52k miles. I'm the 2nd owner, had it for 2 months. I'm getting around 14mpg city driving, 19-20 highway. I've ran seafoam 3x through the tank. 4 new oxygen sensors, 6 new spark plugs, 1 K&N air filter and just installed a new 180 thermostat. My dash coolant dash guage reads the same. I've tried numerous different types of fuel. I'm changing out the pax tires later this week. Has anyone actually fixed or improved their mileage. Those of you who reply "I fixed my mpg, I bought a scotter", go fly a kite.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the Odyssey dude. Those are not great numbers but aren't that bad either. There are folks with worse numbers than yours. I think you've done all you can as far as replacing things go to get your MPG up.

You might get a bit more if you ease up on the gas pedal. Though the van has great power, Hondas in general suck gas if you keep 'em in the VTEC zone which is over 2500 RPM give or take. Try to stay below that and see if it gets you better mpg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unload it. Crap adds weight. How many kids do you haul? if its 3-4 or more you'll never get more mpg.
keep ur tires up around 38-40 psi when cold. in morning in garage. not after you've driven to the local shell to check, then they should be 44-46 psi.
Do u have a subwoofer or other added accessories, ie cooler, air pump, large stroller. etc?
Other than that u've done it all. I just bought an 08 with the i-VTEC cyl cutout tech, and I carry 3 kids, book bags, my crap, which is all sorts of whatever, 1 wife on occasion and I drive like a demon with regular speeds of 80+mph. I get 327 miles to a tank. I think thats like 25 mpg?? Sooo u could maybe trade it in ??? idk.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I drive the Ody in 50/50 city/highway. I drive on flat terrain, van is empty most of the time, but AC always on. I average about 18 mpg while staying close to 2000 rpm most times.

For purely highway driving, I avg. 24 mpg on mostly flat terrain with fully loaded van and AC full on.

If you drive on hilly terrain, expect lower mpg than mine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
+1

'06 EXL, drive conservatively most of the time w/ac on, not much crap but the hitch installed, 18" rims and "eco" tires (so maybe that's a wash?), synthetic oil. Most tanks mixed driving 18mpg. July trip with some idling with AC on (was like 100degrees, don't normally do that) 23.5 mpg and was doing over 70, sometimes 80.

I've tried driving for MPG and not really increased figures a whole lot.

400 miles per tank if you near empty is about 23 mpg or so, IMHO.

WetWilly has the worst MPG of folks I've seen, but I tease him he's a leadfoot.:DD

I drive the Ody in 50/50 city/highway. I drive on flat terrain, van is empty most of the time, but AC always on. I average about 18 mpg while staying close to 2000 rpm most times.

For purely highway driving, I avg. 24 mpg on mostly flat terrain with fully loaded van and AC full on.

If you drive on hilly terrain, expect lower mpg than mine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If an Odyssey tank capacity is 21 gal, then how do you guys calculate 25mpg if you are driving 320-400 miles on a tank??? I'd be impressed if anyone ACTUALLY got 20mpg's. I run consistently 320 miles on a tank. The most EVER got was ~400 and that was driving almost ALL highway one weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2005 about 3 months ago, I get more or less 330-350 miles between fill-ups. My average is constantly 18.5 mpg with combined city/hwy. I drive 30-40 miles daily. I just purchased a volo performance fs2 chip to try out. Will be possibly testing a HHO setup in the near future...

·
Registered
349 Posts
21-24mpg. The 21 is typical winterblended fuel and 24 summer. All 50/50 mixed driving hilly terrian. I try to drive like there is a fresh egg between my right foot and the gas pedal. Cold 38 psi on all four corners.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm with 72triple. I get 21-24 mpg depending on how much baggage I carry.
I also have climate control in AUTO so I don't really have to worry about turning A/C on or off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A start would be get rid of the 180* thermostat and K&N air filter. For efficiency, the engine is designed to run at the factory set temp. K&N is worthless for a van and might even cause issue with air intake sensors with the oil on the filter. Remember, the best thing you can do is have the cleanest air possible enter the intake and K&N does not offer that. I'll assume you put the factory plugs in and not some iridium or Bosch quad-turbo ultra-platinum plugs.
My '08 get a consistent 24mpg on the highway with five of us, gear and the A/C on Auto. I have done the best of 27.2mpg on the highway running 70mph and A/C on off.

·
Registered
380 Posts
07 EX (no vcm), and I get about 300 (and change) miles to a tank.

Fuelly app in my sig says it all and thats 14000 miles tracked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm just curious......how you all calculate your mpg??? I am blown away that some of you here are getting OVER 20mpg. Even if we say you drive starting with a full tank and running dry after 21gal, 24mpg would be 504 mi. Even if we drove on 18 gal at 24mpg, that would mean 432 miles. If I drive for 320 mi before reaching close to "E" and state I drive at 24mpg, that means my tank used was 13.3 gal! almost 7 gal still sitting in the tank? I am confused. Can someone please explain what numbers you are using to calculate your mpg. I have always complained about the fuel eco of these vans and know many other owners who complain the same. I have never met an owner in person that said they get consistent 20something mpg. Fuel eco, brakes, and drone are the main reasons why I hate this van....most issues started AFTER 36k miles....but of course!

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I routinely get 400 all highway on my 2007. I did get 450 once. Fillups are about 16 - 18.5 gallons give or take. But I mostly get 375 and get 400 easy in long trips. We do not drive the van locally so most of my miles are all highway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just took a 3000 miles round trip recently and I recorded miles and amount of fuel used.

This example is just one of the segments:
I filled up the tank and drove 446 miles (fully loaded van, flat terrain, AC on) until the fuel light turned on,
then refilled with 18.4 gallons. That's 24.29 mpg.
The fuel light means I still had 2.5 gallons left.
If I drive till 100% empty (21 gallons) would get me 509 miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My fuel light comes on and I fill up 16.5 gallons, religiously. On road trips, my light comes on a right about 400 miles. I have gone as far as 450 mile before my wife made me fill up and it was 18 gallons (25 mpg). I try and use the cruise as much as possible and keep it 7 mph over the speed limit. I believe our van now has about 53K miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How to track your mileage for any vehicle

I'm just curious......how you all calculate your mpg??? I am blown away that some of you here are getting OVER 20mpg. Even if we say you drive starting with a full tank and running dry after 21gal, 24mpg would be 504 mi. Even if we drove on 18 gal at 24mpg, that would mean 432 miles. If I drive for 320 mi before reaching close to "E" and state I drive at 24mpg, that means my tank used was 13.3 gal! almost 7 gal still sitting in the tank? I am confused. Can someone please explain what numbers you are using to calculate your mpg. I have always complained about the fuel eco of these vans and know many other owners who complain the same. I have never met an owner in person that said they get consistent 20something mpg. Fuel eco, brakes, and drone are the main reasons why I hate this van....most issues started AFTER 36k miles....but of course!
For a trip/driving, fill up the car, reset the trip mileage counter. Next time you fill up, write the miles or km on the receipt then reset the trip mileage counter again. The receipt will have info on how many litres of gas you put in. Here is some mileage data on my last 2 trips (km). This isn't perfect would does yield results I'm looking for on my Ody.

Road Trip 1 Winter:
Gas
Litre Km driven Avg km/L

62.59 616 9.84
48.75 558 11.45
10.94 106 9.71
55.85 659 11.82
52.48 503 9.60
64.53 595 9.23
68.15 590 8.67
64.65 621 9.61
52.38 415 7.93 stuck in traffic jam on the way home.
47.57 516 10.86

Medium load in the van - 4 people plus luggage. No A/C used

Road Trip 2 - summer:

Gas
Litre Km driven Avg km/L

56.38 591 10.48
66.00 580 8.79
61.62 598 9.70
27.45 181 6.59 Stuck in traffic big time with A/C on
69.63 673 9.67

Medium load in the van - 4 people plus luggage. A/C constantly used

I can tell you this van gets better mileage than a 2000 Ford Windstar and even better mileage than that 2004 Toyota Sienna POS I owned.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sounds about right i get 16 city and about 22 hwy (75+mph), with AC on all the time. I do get 300+ miles per tank.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am a new owner of a used 2006 odyssey with 100k km's. I consistently get 20-21 mpg city and 24-26 mpg highway. So far I have driven 2400 km's. I am certainly not a lead footed driver but I don't lightly drive either. Most of my driving is 65/35 hwy/city. Perhaps your brakes are dragging and causing your lower than average mpg?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow... some of you are getting really poor mileage, that sucks.. The worst I ever get is 22 mpg, thats either fully loaded (meaning 4 mtn bikes and 4 guys and gear) going 80 mph +, or in mostly city driving. On highway trips with a lighter load (2 smaller kids and not much gear), I usually get between 25-27 and thats in the mountains of Colorado. Does the lack of air help in my case? I don't worry about or drive like grandpa either, but I am not racing off the line either..

·
Registered
286 Posts
22 mpg for city is very good.
Do you use the A/C at all ?

Wow... some of you are getting really poor mileage, that sucks.. The worst I ever get is 22 mpg, thats either fully loaded (meaning 4 mtn bikes and 4 guys and gear) going 80 mph +, or in mostly city driving. On highway trips with a lighter load (2 smaller kids and not much gear), I usually get between 25-27 and thats in the mountains of Colorado. Does the lack of air help in my case? I don't worry about or drive like grandpa either, but I am not racing off the line either..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts