Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
anybody done struts for their odyssey yet , i have one leaking and thinking of changing both rears.
Please express your opinions.
Av

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi
anybody done struts for their odyssey yet , i have one leaking and thinking of changing both rears.
Av
I think you mean shock absorber; the struts are on the front.
It looks like there aren't many choices besides Monroe Sensa-Trac and OEM.
I also would like to replace them, but I still don't know which are firmer.
I suspect the OEM are.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Use OEM, not the best stuff but the alternative for now is not better.
I wish Bilstein makes Struts/Shocks for Od.

Anyway, info on REAR Shocks (Bolts sizes etc) are in this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...diy-2007-honda-odyssey-front-brake-rotor.html

The bottom line is:
- Jackstand under van for support
- Floor jack below the REAR control arm and jack it up a bit to release tension so the shock can be replaced.

·
Registered
143 Posts
CNN , thanks for being helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
looks like Honda has 2 diff part #s for the touring shock vs all others . Are they really different

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi
Av
What ever you do don't take it to the dealer to have the rear shocks replaced. Here in Edmonton they wanted arouind $650 to replace both rear shocks. I could believe it and told them screw that I'll change them myself. I bought 2 Monroe Sensa-Tracs from Napa for $65 (using our company discount) and replaced them both in less than 1/2 hr. I find the Sensa Tracs ride a bit stiffer than the OEM's and they have been good so far after around 6 months. No complaints at all. There's an awesome posting here on how to change the shocks out.

Here's the post:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/108529-struts-shocks.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did both my rear shocks, rear brakes, and rotated the tires in less than 3 hours. One shock was leaking and when I took it out remained compressed. If you are mechanically inclined enough to remove the tires, you can probably do the rear shocks. I got Monroe Sensa Trac #37288 from Advance Auto Parts, free shipping for $104.99 including tax. Happy with the Monroes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Struts

Hi
Thank you for all the suggestions and i will look into the Monroes as suggested.
Appreciate your input.
Cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
I still would like more information.
Eventhough I googled and searched, I would like to see some specs
and be able to compare OEM to the only other alternative, Sensa-trac.

I would like to compare at least PSI.

It sucks there aren't any other alternatives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree!! I've been searching for a while now for aftermarket struts and shocks. I can only find the OEMs.

@JDS

How is the ride with the H&R springs? Is the ride any more firm?

·
Registered
53 Posts
...they wanted arouind $650 to replace both rear shocks. I could believe it and told them screw that I'll change them myself. I bought 2 Monroe Sensa-Tracs from Napa for $65 (using our company discount) and replaced them both in less than 1/2 hr.
I can relate to that! Such an exorbitant cost for such an easy job! With the hoists and tools they have I'd be surprised if it took more than 25 minutes to do them both. Which dealer was quoting you that much? No wonder they call 'em "stealers"!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I can relate to that! Such an exorbitant cost for such an easy job! With the hoists and tools they have I'd be surprised if it took more than 25 minutes to do them both. Which dealer was quoting you that much? No wonder they call 'em "stealers"!
Millwoods Honda, they said that it takes an hour per side plus parts. I changed them both at home using a floor jack in 1/2hr and that includes torqueing the wheel nuts in 4 increments. Dealer just hammers them on with a impact gun.

·
Registered
613 Posts
brakes

I just want Mugen to let us have some of those new goodies in the USA. I wouldn't mind a new stance and better brakes.
check my sig for brake info. Mine work great now.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi
Thank you for all the suggestions and i will look into the Monroes as suggested.
Appreciate your input.
Cheers
Put on Monroe's. OEM were light, did not appear to have much oil in them just like most OEM shocks I've taken off. Monroe are gas charged, but they are a comfort shock that's pretty similar to stock, just with more gas-charged beef to it. Works well. If you want better handling, we need to get a rear sway bar. Looking at options to adapt one myself, but back burner project.

KYB also makes shocks that fit I think. :coolio:

·
Registered
53 Posts
KYB also makes shocks that fit I think. :coolio:
I've ordered KYB from Tire Rack before so checked into this. They don't have any listed yet but the KYB website shows a GR-2 rear shock coming out 2nd quarter 2011 for the Odyssey: part number 349091

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree!! I've been searching for a while now for aftermarket struts and shocks. I can only find the OEMs.

@JDS

How is the ride with the H&R springs? Is the ride any more firm?
I absolutely love th H&Rs. Got them at tire rack, not too expensive.
Much less body roll, and when I'm alone I love to throw the Ody on curves,
and the handling unreal for a minivan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts