Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85K on 2005 Odyssey. Maintenance Minder in Owners Manual states I should receive a Code B4 when the TB requires replacement. One dealer stated to wait until the B4 code comes on but NLT 105K. Another dealer stated the TB should be changed at 7 yrs or 105K which ever comes first. I am in the military...many miles related to cross country vacations and moves across the country. So would assess driving between moderate and severe but definitely not in 100 degree F on a regular basis. Should I wait until the B4 code comes on? Should I do it now at 85K miles?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Personally, I'd do the TB at 90-95K range.
Better be safe than sorry.

There is more to it:
- Tensioners
- Pulleys
- Water Pump

Any of these components acting up, the engine goes kaboom.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Time is the issue. The original TB is now 7 years old. I think you are perfectly safe in waiting another year. The TB service interval is very conservative.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm with cnn, better safe than sorry, especially with hondas. Age is just as much a factor as mileage, with all the heating and cooling in the engine compartment, rubber starts to become brittle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ya ya need piece of mind, Hyuandi and kia has the worst belts followed by chrysler, Honda have one of the most durable, cant remember doing an auctual failure in the last 30yrs on a Honda, had 1-2 idler failures from coolant but not a belt.

Some of the Kia's dont even make the service interval

·
Registered
286 Posts
My family have had several cars (1 Subaru, 2 Hondas, 1 Toyota) through the years.
We always replaced the TB, WP etc at 10 or 11 years when the cars were about 90-95 K miles.
Never had any issue with TB, WP, serpentine belt, tensioner etc during the first 10 years or 90 K miles, so we did that for peace of mind.
The cars were sold after 12 years when each car had no more than 120K miles on the odometer.
I am sure the original TB/WP would still be good for 12 years or 120K miles.
It may seem a waste of money to replace the TB/WP and then only use it for 2 or 3 years.
Well, we found that when we sold the cars to private buyers, we could close the deal quickly when we showed proof of the new TB/WP.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just changed the timing belt on our 2005 EX-L with 89k miles last weekend. Everything that I replace: timing belt, idler, tensioner (the roller and the hydraulic pusher), coolant pump, serpentine belt) look like they could go at least another 25k miles. The coolant pump, especially, looked like new. Still, given it's 7+ years of service, I wouldn't t take a chance.

One thing that ACTUALLY needed replacement was the serpentine belt tensioner; the top roller had some play. I didn't have that part on hand but will replace it in the next 1 month or so; this one should be a simple job.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well - it's an interference engine, so if it snaps, it's all kinds of expensive to repair. That being said, I am guessing you are fine waiting until you hit 105k miles. When you do it, I'd replace the tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump, and serpentine belt as well - you'll need to replace the spart plugs at that time, too. (also - before you do it, make sure your side engine mount is not torn - if so, replace that at the same time (since you have to unbolt it to do the tb)

·
Registered
15 Posts
We waited to 115K out of necessity and had it done in Jan. Total cost was just above $1K with power steering pump replacement and a few other misc items.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
We waited to 115K out of necessity and had it done in Jan. Total cost was just above $1K with power steering pump replacement and a few other misc items.
The OP's question was about the age of the van. What year is your Ody?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts