Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ody has 79k miles. 4 Pax Tires were installed 2015. Tread is good but sidewalls are not. Dealer told me safe for awhile as long as I don't drive on the interstate

Price for 4 is now $2000. In 2015 we received $ from Michelin because very few miles we on the previous tires. No deals now

The dealer told me the old tires were mfg in 2013!!!
Same dealer who put them on
I didn't ask if they were in stock, but I cannot believe they pulled a trick like that

Our local mechanic offered to give me a quote, but as I remember special equipment is required
and I think I trust Honda with correct equipment

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,701 Posts
PAX tires are no longer manufactured by Michelin. Your best bet will be to de-PAX and start using regular tires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PAX tires are no longer manufactured by Michelin. Your best bet will be to de-PAX and start using regular tires.
Thanks
No place to put a spare in the trunk!
So who does mfg them? Dealer didn't tell me that

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
As said, they are not made anymore. You should read the de-PAX thread at the top of this forum.
I believe there is a place for a spare tire in your Touring. You will have to buy new wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thanks
2nd question 1st:
Jiantao told you that Michelin used to manufacture PAX tires.

Yes there is! As you see in this recent thread: DePax Simplified? 2007 Odyssey Touring Edition, there is space for a spare. So as other say 4 new wheels, conventional tires, compatible TPMS sensors and a donut (jack too?) and you don't have to worry about replacing with discontinued technology.
So I stand corrected, dvpatel. You said "driver's side" and I looked at the passenger's side. My compartment on the driver's side looks like this (see image below). So a donut spare will fit in here, eh? View attachment 163644
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

Attachments

Reactions: akbrush and thscott

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,701 Posts
Yup - PAX was a unique "technology" made by Michelin only. They were the only ones making them. Now that they've stopped making them, nobody does.

You should be able to pull a junkyard spare out of any 2005-2010 Odyssey and it will fit in the spare tire well that you have (and should be empty right now).

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you can mount the tires yourself, Discount Tire Direct or TireRack, will ship you new tires mounted to new wheels. Call them and talk to them.

If you belong to Costco, they can also get you replacement tires and new wheels, and they will do all the work for you.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
239 Posts
The salvage yard is a good idea. You can get the entire set of wheels from a non-touring. If you are lucky, the tires on them may be good for a while though I won’t trust it.

Reactions: akbrush

·
Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,080 Posts
How do you like my EX wheels? You can have them all for $100 Pick up in Tampa.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

Reactions: adr5

·
Registered
444 Posts
2nd question 1st:

So as other say 4 new wheels, conventional tires, compatible TPMS sensors and a donut (jack too?) and you don't have to worry about replacing with discontinued technology.
No, there should already be a jack - at least my '07 Touring had a jack mounted in a compartment directly below the place for the donut spare. I only had to buy the donut spare with hardware to mount it in the compartment from a junk yard.

I bought 16" wheels, 235/65 R16 General Altimax RT43 Tires, and new TPMS all from Discount Tire. I was glad I did because the TPMS they originally sold me ended up not being compatible with the Touring (they wouldn't Sync), so the shop installed the ones that were compatible, and didn't charge me any more money (the proper TPMS were 50% higher cost).

·
Registered
2012 Odyssey Touring
40 Posts
Thanks
2006 Touring, I have a spare tire in the well driver side rear.
Used Acura wheels from a TL (?), 17in rims, same circumference as the PAX, no change in speedometer or odometer. But, I don't know if its the 17in tires or the springs are tired and minor potholes, jar your teeth.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
2006 Touring, I have a spare tire in the well driver side rear.
Used Acura wheels from a TL (?), 17in rims, same circumference as the PAX, no change in speedometer or odometer. But, I don't know if its the 17in tires or the springs are tired and minor potholes, jar your teeth.:eek:
This is suspension packages for cars are "tuned" to specific tire/wheel packages. By making a significant change to the package the suspension will not perform how it could decide to perform. Briefly changing from PAX to a conventional tire/wheel configuration is a major change in bloodlust effect how your suspension performs.

·
Registered
2017 EX
94 Posts
Many BMW wheels fit as well, and are a dime a dozen secondhand. Way more Bimmers getting aftermarket wheels than Odys. I put a set of Style 130s from an X5 on our 4th gen. They look almost stock, except for the faux BMW "M" centers I picked up on eBay... :LOL:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I de-PAXed my 2006 Touring this last June with EXL rims that I got from a salvage yard. The only difference that I did was going with the Bridgestone Drive Guard run-flat tires that mounted on a standard rim. Special ordered the tires at Discount tire and the car drove like a dream! Much smoother ride than with the PAX tires. And, I don't have to carry a spare and a jack. These tires have a driving distance of around 50 miles, even after a blow out. Total cost for the tires, Honda compatible TPMS, and the rims (mounting, balancing, and installing included) was right at $1200. And the tires have a 50-60K life. (Best I ever got from the PAX tires was just over 20K. I have already put around 6000 miles on them and they are performing fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our Ody has 79k miles. 4 Pax Tires were installed 2015. Tread is good but sidewalls are not. Dealer told me safe for awhile as long as I don't drive on the interstate

Price for 4 is now $2000. In 2015 we received $ from Michelin because very few miles we on the previous tires. No deals now

I didn't ask if they were in stock, but I cannot believe they pulled a trick like that

Our local mechanic offered to give me a quote, but as I remember special equipment is required
At one time Honda had offered a small spare tire to all owners of the 2005 Odyssey with Pax tire under a lawsuit. I do not know if the dealer will still honor that offer. We had acquired a small spare tire that fits in the well on the side as shown in one of the messages. We ended up de-paxing in 2017 and the total cost for the rims and tires was around $1,600.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Seems like the OP’r has gone away.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You should ALWAYS check the date on tires you buy. Most tires should be replaced after 5 years. I would go back to the place you bought the tires and see what they say. They should not have sold you 2 year old tires without tell you.

I would not pay $2000 for tires you know are problematic. Besides the ridiculous price, you will be in the same situation in the future. For $2000 you can buy better tires with new rims. That is what I would do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many BMW wheels fit as well, and are a dime a dozen secondhand. Way more Bimmers getting aftermarket wheels than Odys. I put a set of Style 130s from an X5 on our 4th gen. They look almost stock, except for the faux BMW "M" centers I picked up on eBay... :LOL:
LES Schwab DePaxed my 2006 Touring years ago. They used BMW type after market alum wheels. I bought a donut spare from a Bremerton dealer online. It fits in the space shown. Car already had jack and handle. It was a little cheaper then Mich Pax tires. Problem was not many tire companies had correct equipt. to handle PAX repairs or like replacemnts. Did not want to be in Idaho or Mt. with a bad PAX.

·
Registered
2012 Odyssey Touring
40 Posts
This is suspension packages for cars are "tuned" to specific tire/wheel packages. By making a significant change to the package the suspension will not perform how it could decide to perform. Briefly changing from PAX to a conventional tire/wheel configuration is a major change in bloodlust effect how your suspension performs.
Thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts