Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the towing kit for our 3rd generation Ody ?
Is it a reasonable DIY project for the power steering & tranny cooler ?
I have the hitch and light harness already; but want to tow my boat soon; wondering if I should buy or self install .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also interested in towing with my 2005 Ody, as I have a 13' UHaul camping trailer, a 21' Bay Hen Sailboat and a Bear Track aluminum utility trailer. My 1992 Volvo 940 Turbo has been towing these fine, but I need to be able to tow with more than just one car.

Does self-install or non-dealer install do anything to warranties? The Ody still has less than 50,000 miles on it and another year to go with a dealer purchased 7 year warranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch and harness on my 2006 today. Took about 2 1/2 hours. Would have been quicker if I wasn't trying to watch my three kids at the same time.

I'll probably order the coolers next. They are really separate projects with nothing in common but the instructions. I'm going to install the 2007 trans cooler and and change the filter and fluid. Bought my case of DW-1 already.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why order the 07 Trans cooler for an 06? What is different about the design? I am looking to add the cooler to my 06 Touring even though I am not planning on towing at this point... more of a reaction to owning one of the glorious 99's with the overheating 4spds.

BB.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow... yah, I see this. Thanks!

Will have to hold out for the 2007 kit to slap on my 06. Back on topic: Is this a huge project to do the cooler? The harness and stuff should be DIY-able that makes sense, but the trans cooler seems like it could be more problematic.

BB.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One of the more frustrating things about this site is the mixing of generations with almost nothing in common in the same thread.

At handa the 07 cooler kit is a few bucks cheaper for some reason.

This thread has info from those who have done the install.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/87665-07-10-tranny-cooler-06-a.html

Will have to hold out for the 2007 kit to slap on my 06. Back on topic: Is this a huge project to do the cooler? The harness and stuff should be DIY-able that makes sense, but the trans cooler seems like it could be more problematic.
Haven't done it yet but it's a few hoses and a few bolts. I don't think it looks too tough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Time to tow soon (July is fast approaching) and it finally stopped raining so off to back we went to install the hitch today.
First we did an aftermarket for my friend's 05 Caravan which took all of about an hour to do. The thing is: the bolts were already in the van and were easy to take out - the rest was a piece of cake.

Moving on to the 05 Ody Touring. Have the OEM hitch, removed the rear bumper cover easily. From that point, cleaning the rusty bolt holes has not been an easy endeavor. So far, four out of six are allowing the bolts in and biting. The other two - no luck. I'm loaded with tap and die sets but can't find a metric tap size to match the bolts. In SAE they fit a 1/2-20NF die but won't fit a 12-1.5 metric. I don't want to tap these rusty bolts without the proper metric size. Anyone know the right size tap? What a pita.

If only Honda had the foresight to at least put the hitch bolts into the frame to keep the holes clean, with a little anti-seize in there to boot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Found out it's a 12mm X 1.25 tap for those hitch bolt holes. Also, found the space on the exhaust side pretty tight so I acquired a ratcheting tap wrench which is much smaller than your average. A little lube and all six holes cleaned out nicely. Torqued all except the last one: welded nut broke loose inside the frame. Where's that beer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts