Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2006 Cylinder 1 misfire

1231 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  DIY Fan
Have a 2006 Odyssey with a misfire code in cylinder 1. if the engine is cold, I can start it up and once its to around 120 degrees I then get a misfire code and the check engine light starts blinking. Not sure if its related to engine temp because if the engine is warm already it happens within a minute or so. Once that happens, if I increase the RPM's it is limited to around 2500rpm. I put a new plug in cylinder 1 and switched the coil to cylinder 5. Code still pops for cylinder 1.

Some background - was changing valve cover gaskets because of a bad leak that kept killing my alternator (thank goodness for lifetime warranty). Back valve cover had a bolt break in the head. Had to pull the timing belt and back head to get out the broken bolt. Reinstalled everything with all new gaskets and head bolts. Did not adjust valves because I didn't mess with them when I took it all apart. Started it up and it ran good till warmed up and then I got a misfire code. Before it warmed up it was idling around 950rpm and after the misfire it jumps up to about 1500rpm but sounds fine. That happens every time.

Not sure where to go from here. Do I I just need to bring it to my mechanic and let him run some tests? Or do people have some good ideas on what to check? Thanks for your input.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
As metal heats up it expands. My guess is a vacuum leak around cylinder 1 when warm. Did you torque head bolts to spec and pattern? Are you 100% sure you're not off by a tooth on timing belt?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
Trim level? Is your VCM disabled if applicable?

If new plug and coil swap had no effect, then you know the ignition system is fine. Which leaves fuel, air, compression, and timing.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
What does the plug look like when you pull it?

Are you losing oil or coolant?

See if a spark plug non-fouler will help prevent misfires until you fix your problem.

Also, when light starts flashing, shut off van and restart. You should go back to normal, at least until the misfire count gets high enough to shut off cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts